Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-13-2022, 04:02 PM

Well JD, should you end up with a Caldwell BRP, I'm sure you'll enjoy it in the rat patch. It's as close as you'll get to the original. I've been told they work quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
I’m going to central Washington to do some chuck shooting come hell or high water.
Remember, no pictures, didn't happen.

(Internet rules )
Old 06-13-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Well JD, should you end up with a Caldwell BRP, I'm sure you'll enjoy it in the rat patch. It's as close as you'll get to the original. I've been told they work quite well.

(Internet rules )
Right on. We are still waiting for photos of your (JD) bench you mentioned that you made/use, along this same style.
And for sure, photos of the chuck hunt coming up.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post

(Internet rules )
There surely has been more trips planned that didn't happen than happened this year. The weather has been decidedly uncooperative.

Not a good day to be visiting YNP. The weather has been pretty crappy all across the west. Tom Miner Bridge swept out by high water.
https://www.facebook.com/585389803/v...9543149256798/
Old 06-13-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
There surely has been more trips planned that didn't happen than happened this year. The weather has been decidedly uncooperative.

Not a good day to be visiting YNP. The weather has been pretty crappy all across the west. Tom Miner Bridge swept out by high water.
https://www.facebook.com/585389803/v...9543149256798/
I know the wind in my area, has sure played a big role in not going out as often. It just takes away a lot of the pleasure in being out there and fighting it.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:56 PM

More on YNP

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news...ortion-of-park
Old 06-13-2022, 06:13 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Caldwell BRP, had one since they came out after I found that Ricks wasn't available. Tried a couple times to use it and got PO'd. First the the bearing sleeve they installed in the base wouldn't allow the rest to pivot if sitting on the seat. Lord knows it was sloppy enough fit it should have turned. Since I'm tall and have bad knees I need a seat that's 23 inches off the ground. The column was too short if I raised the seat to that height, I couldn't bend over and shoot off the top. Even with a tall front rest and rear bags. This thing set for years. This spring I chopped the column and had tig welded a 1/4" wall tube of 6061 to give me an additional 8 inches of height. I copied the original top size but in a good grade plywood and moved the mounting bracket more to the rear (where the curved cutout is) for better access. It's still not right so this summer a new top is in order. Since I copied the factory top in size I found it needed to be longer, front to back, my rest legs were at the front edge of the top. I'll add to the length on the next top. I used it for 6 days this spring. It worked far better in the modified form. At least I could partly stand and rotate the bench , then sit down. I'm convinced it may look and called a BRP.... it ain't. Just be prepared to make it fit you if you buy one.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:43 PM

I think I would have added an auxiliary top supported by three ~ 3/4 inch aluminum columns that screwed into T-Nuts in the auxiliary top and had threaded inserts that I could screw a male knob from the bottom through holes drilled in the original top to secure and used the original top as a shelf if I had that issue.

The bearing issue might actually be traced to the "sloppy" fit. I think I would want it sitting on a sealed thrust bearing and if it's got a couple sealed shaft bearings that would make it all but impossible for it to bind up.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-13-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:39 PM

Ray H, as an aside, I'll mention that during the time we made the BRP, we had special considerations for tall and/or heavy shooters. Longer center posts, modified bench top brackets to give more 'belly-room', and even special rubber padded feet for the legs for the military to be used in buildings in the sandbox. BRP's were purchased by every branch of our military (and some foreign), the FBI, forensic labs, State and local police and other federal alphabet agencies. The Feds are a picky bunch, so we made mods as wanted.

During that time, most any mods could be had for the asking, as being shooters ourselves, we knew the type of service we'd want. But now being produced offshore by non-shooters, well........
Old 06-14-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Dang Rick
You are jolting my memory

Thanks again for making me smile, and enjoy.

BTW, from my count, that image was right after I went 20 blank. Then I realized I was aiming high, settled in and went I believe 36 straight to "seal the deal" on BD.
Well Allen, smiling is what it's all about.

Amazing what a 223AI will do when you point it in the right direction with the correct sight picture. And 36 straight is no small deal either. Glad Black Death has found a worthy home.

And as to that smile.....

The spot that jogged your memory, the base of the cliff.....

With an accurate rifle, it would be hard to not have a great time in settings such as this one, with copious quantities of squirrels frolicking about.....

Good times indeed, and just a preview of your next trip, as rumor has it you may be equipped with a brand new BRP Lite.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:43 PM
Supporting Member

Rick's BRP has also made it to New Zealand, years ago I bought a used standard BRP and shipped it to New Zealand where it's been used regularly since.
I've been thinking of turning it into a Lite by machining some alloy legs and fitting them, this would make it a bit lighter.
I like the photo of it set up in the back of the pickup, but can safely say it doesn't fit in the back of a Subaru ute like that.........Kiwi