Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2022, 11:15 PM

It should work. The .17 Remington is just a whisker bigger at the base on some of the prints that were on line or set the barrel back a turn or two.

Hal
Old 08-20-2022, 11:39 PM

I would say stick with the 17FB. Just set the barrel back and rechamber it with a 17FB reamer.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
It should work. The .17 Remington is just a whisker bigger at the base on some of the prints that were on line or set the barrel back a turn or two.

Hal
But the 17 Rem is smaller at the shoulder than the Fireball, so it may not clean up the full chamber unless the barrel is set back.
If you are going to set the barrel back you may as well just clean up the chamber with the fireball reamer.......Kiwi
Old 08-21-2022, 01:15 AM

Ran the numbers. You will need to remove at least .400" to make the .17 Remington work. Depending on thread pitch, that's six to eight threads.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:00 AM

Kiwishooter & Hog Patrol

Good catch, I missed that.

Hal
Old 08-21-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat120mm View Post
Hi,

Due to a batch of bad Remington ammo, I now have a scarred chamber in my beloved Sako .17 Fireball. The necks were split on around 10% of cases (this is new old tock ammo from 2008), unfortunately I didn't notice this until I'd fired around 50 shots, so 5 split cases and some gas erosion cuts to the shoulders of the chamber.

I could get the chamber re-cut in .17 FB, but would lose the length of the tenon as that'd need to be cut off and re-threaded apparently. So was wondering if anyone on here has been down this path before and gone from .17 FB to .17 Remington without the need to cut off the tenon and re-thread?

I'm keen not to lose any barrel length as I want every fps from the cartridge.

Many thanks!
Do you have any lot numbers for this ammunition? I have about 100 rounds here that I have not fired.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:50 PM

Default 17Fireball

I too like Kevin’s idea.Not to mention even if you did cut off a bit more ,early Sakos were 23” It won’t be missed,especially if you reload,the right powder and primer could easily best the factory loads of your Fireball.
Matt
Old 08-24-2022, 01:34 PM

I'd do the set back....but it's not that simple.

Assuming you want the barrel stampings to align like the came from the factory...you can't just choose an arbitrary number to set it back. At the very least, you'll need to go back at least the length of the neck...plus whatever else it takes to bring the stampings into 'time'. A qualified 'smith will determine from the T.P.I. of the tenon threads how much it needs to be set back to both clean up the damaged neck and 'time' the stampings.

Get it to a qualified 'smith that knows what he's doing and has a reamer that is correct.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 08-29-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Do you have any lot numbers for this ammunition? I have about 100 rounds here that I have not fired.

Sorry for the delay, batch number is 80673 (2008 production).