Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Nosler Rifles

Anyone familiar with the rifles that the Nosler shop is turning out? I am considering the M48 Patriot in 270W or 7mm-08 for my youngest when he is ready for a full size platform. His older brother will end up with my Rem 700 from 1981 with a custom glass stock, trued action and fresh Pac Nor barrel. Just want them to end up with rifles of similar quality. Right now, my ten year old is shooting a youth Savage Axis in 7mm-08. It does well enough that we plan on keeping it around to loan out for youngsters in need. Just not an heirloom piece. The Nosler goes for less than $2K and since I don't have a donor, I can't build him a custom from scratch for that price. Please share your thoughts.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 PM

If you want a custom built you should just buy a donor and make what he wants. It will be appreciated more as time passes. Sure wish my dad had built me a rifle!

Last edited by ken158; 08-15-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Supporting Member

If it were my money I'd use the money to purchase a Stiller action, Shilen barrel, BC or McMillan stock, Shilen Standard trigger, and a Leupy scope. All of that will run you around 1800 but you get a complete custom rifle.

SPF action: $850
Shilen barrel: $175
BC stock: $250
Shilen Trigger: $100
PTG bottom Metal: $125
Leupy FXII 6X: $275
Smith to barrel: $250

$1975 and just the way you want it.

Adam
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 PM

Default Nosler Rifle

What ab said.
The Nosler for all intents and purposes is a Semi custom Howa.

Last edited by Oleman; 08-14-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 AM

I am not completely ruling out custom. However, I can't buy the components at the prices you have listed, Adam. Also, nothing against Shillen or any of the other quality bbl makers but......... Pac Nor is an Oregon company and has earned my loyalty. Along those lines, if you remember Adam, you helped me through a bit of a scrape awhile back. That means that if I do go custom, you get first dibs on putting the pieces together!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Supporting Member

Lol, thanks for that. I still feel that the quality of the parts listed far surpass the Nosler. I am sure it's a killer rifle, but not killer parts. I think they are Shaw barrels, Howa actions and a BC style stock. For my money I would go custom if it's a repeater, if it's a SS go Cooper.

Adam
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Yep, the boy wants a repeater. Since it will be his primary big-game rifle I am okay with that. Not sure how quickly I will be able to gather everything up. Probably one piece every so often. Thanks once again for the help guys.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Rifles have changed a lot over the years and the accuracy a guy expects and frequently gets is better today than the customs use to be. That said I have to say that I have worked with 2 new Tikka rifles and both of them shot absolutely great! One was a .22-250 and on that one I did my standard break-in and on my first pass using good ole Varget and 55 grain V-Max's it was an half inch'ish rifle and that's with a ham handed ole fart like me shooting it.
The second is one a buddy got when he was searching for a light weight elk rifle. I let him do all the shooting on that one cause it is sure light weight all right but it's also a .300 Win Mag. and it kicks like a Spanish mule !! It does however shoot solidly under an inch and a guys never gonna miss an animal due to the accuracy on that gun. I'd give something like a new Tikka a good thought personally.
I'm not sure a young hunter needs a custom for their first hunting rifle as long as it's a safe dependable piece that fits their needs in size, accuracy requirements and most importantly safety concerns. Teach em how to break it in and take care of it and it'll last him for ever.
My first hunting rifle was a sporterized 6.5X55 Swede and I'd killed deer elk and antelope with it all before I was 15. That rifle is still one of the fondest memories of my early hunting years, not because it is was so beautiful or expensive but because it was my own and not someone else's and it shared in all those early hunting memories as a rifle that always did it's part if I did mine. As a stupid kid I finally traded that gun off and I'd pay that $2,000.00 ya spoke of to have that critter back today just like it was back then.
I have a different take then others I guess but that's ok and that's how I see it. Good luck hunting to you and your boys .
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Actually Doug, our thinking is pretty similar. Currently he is shooting a youth sized Savage Axis in 7mm-08 using SR4759 powder. He bagged his first buck with it last Fall. He will continue to use this rifle until a regular LOP fits him. Right now he is 10 years old and I will be 50 in November. I hope to have lots of years left to share with him. My mother died when she was 62. The point is, I have no idea when the Good Lord may call me back to greener pastures so I want their (my two sons') firearm inheritances in order sooner rather than later. I know the rifles will be around long after 'dad' is gone.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member

Spoken like the loving father I know you are. None of us know when we're going home so to speak, so enjoying each and every moment together is the true blessing. My prayers are with you and your boys for many many years of great hunting memories together. Good luck with whatever rifle ya get and I hope it shoots lights out !!!
They'll be out shooting the old man before ya know it .