Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2022, 03:50 AM

Well, it’s done. I suppose I will pick it up in the next week sometime. I never purchase a fire arm that isn’t “delayed.” Mox nix. The dealer seems more frustrated by it than I am.

I like the look of it pretty well. I have a brand new 4-12 Meopta sitting here that will probable work well on it. I’ll probably mount it in Warne rings.

Suppose I should get some 17HMR ammo now. What do you guys prefer? To be honest, I’ve never paid that much attention to the 17 HMR.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:29 AM

With the exception of Winchester and Browning label all the rest is made by CCI. I've shot cases of the CCI/Hornady 17gr Vmax ammo and it shoots as good as any and better than most others.

CCI came out with the A17 17HMR ammo a few years ago that shoots the same 17gr Vmax bullet but it's 100fps faster than the standard 17gr Vmax 17HMR ammo and it seems to have mixed reviews. Some people prefer it over anything else while others have better accuracy with the standard velocity stuff.

Generally, the 17gr Vmax ammo shoots pretty well but every gun is different so you may have to try a few different ones to see what shoots best in your gun.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the tip on where to start.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:41 AM
Supporting Member

I have one in 22 magnum, a model you blokes get its a cheaper version called 457 beech wood. I have a Nikon EFR target 3-9x40 mounted these scopes have a large ocular lense and the bolt clears easily with low rings

It shoots very accurately with rem 33 grn premium, very happy with the rifle

Johno
Old 07-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
I have one in 22 magnum, a model you blokes get its a cheaper version called 457 beech wood. I have a Nikon EFR target 3-9x40 mounted these scopes have a large ocular lense and the bolt clears easily with low rings

It shoots very accurately with rem 33 grn premium, very happy with the rifle

Johno
I haven't seen Rem 22 mag ammo for sale in New Zealand for a number of years.
My 22 Mag loved the Rem offering followed by the Hornady, wish I could find some more Rem ammo........Kiwi
Old 07-13-2022, 05:00 PM
Supporting Member

Default cz 457 17hmr

I have the 457 Lux in 17HMR. Groups are .50" at 50yds and open up to 1.00" at 100. Now that's in the Texas wind, we very seldom get a no wind day here. I paid 499.99 for the Lux(walnut), all in around 560.00 before FFL.
Old 07-24-2022, 05:23 AM

I picked it up today and mounted a new Instinct/Meopta 4.5-14 I had sitting here in Talley low rings. I can see daylight, but can’t get a .001 feeler gauge between the scope and barrel. Oh well, going to have to order the high ring set. Looks like they are .25 higher. I have a friend who is a low mounted scope freak. I learned from his experience that the barrel will expand enough in the sun to shift the impact if you don’t have about 10 thousandths clear air between the scope and barrel on rimfire rifles. It’s a shame a buddy had these sitting unused.