Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-31-2022, 06:58 PM

I am the oddball. I probably like my Howa mini with the 20" #6 barrel in .222 best of all of mine. I have a Vortex Diamondback 4x12 on top which makes a nice compact package. For hogs one of the 7.62x39 family would be my pick.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:57 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Perfect is relative, I would add.......that whatever rifle I have in hand, or in arms reach at the time......makes for the perfect varmint rifle for that given moment!

Have grown up walking dog towns and drainages in the badlands of SD. I will carry a heavy 223 (13+ pounds) while walking dog towns, and have killed called coyotes with it.

Learned how to call coyotes with a friend of our family that shot a heavy custom barreled 220 swift with a fixed 12x scope.

My go to rifles now are in that #4 (heavy sporter weight) contour. The one I carry the most for deer, antelope, called coyotes while hunting is an old M722 that has a 24" lilja chambered in 250AI. 85gr NBT at 3450fps.

If calling only, I generally will carry a M700 with a #4 pac-nor chambered in 6x45. Shooting 70-80gr bullets that little thing is quite (not suppressed) and hits above its weight class.

I do have an old M722 in .222 Rem that gets quite a bit of field time also and is a joy to carry and does a nice job on whatever varmint the 7.5x Leupold Dot settles in the middle of.

Called Coyotes: Most called on one set - six (two pairs of adults and two first year pups, both males) - connected on four. Dozens of sets made over the years with four called in.

I am 53 and been hand calling (howling / vocalizing) with open reed calls since I was 12.

PS: Don't knock the tactical bolt knob crowd. They are doing the same thing, just like driving with different accessories. It is the same as a Harley Rider getting cranky about some kid on a sport bike.......both are riders, each just has a different taste. We must stand as one, if we don't......we all fall. Illegitimi non carborundum!!
Old 08-01-2022, 02:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Randy Anderson is that you? LOL Humm, i could have written that post from being young and strong carrying a rifle that should have been on wheels. to the chambers of choice, 6x45, 250 ai, 22-250AI, 223, 222,a few 17's and 20's.

i was just shooting the 250 Ai today, it is such a sweetheart.