Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Seating Die Conversion Questions

Hi folks.

I'm looking for a seating die system that can be swapped from one cartridge/caliber to another. I currently use the RCBS Competition Seating Die system with the interchangeable plugs and bullet sleeves, but it's limited by it's tolerances and produces run out of .004-.008. Using any other seating die my results are .002 or better on the same set-up. I'd like a system that cradles the case in addition to the neck.

I've been researching the new Vickerman dies, which appear to be about the same thing in concept as RCBS, but perhaps they hold the body better than RCBS? Curious if the tolerances are tighter than RCBS? If you know please respond.

Ideally, I'd love to have Redding or Forster or Whidden seating dies with interchangeable guts, but I don't think that's an option? If it is, I'd be happy to hear how to go about it.

Can the RCBS Gold Metal Match seating die parts be purchased from RCBS to have an interchangeable system?

I shoot 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 36, and 45 caliber, so buying 10 or 12 precision seating dies is not in my budget.

Tony
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

IMHO, RCBS Compitition Seater Dies are the best. Runout? Never checked. Bullets are all going in the same hole so why bother? Pick them up used, swap the innards to get to the caliber you're after and you're good to go.
Can't get past the side window that you drop the bullet into. Sure saves the finger tips!! And, you can see if the bullet it straight. With every other seater die I've seen, you're working in the dark as soon as the ram goes up, then it's too late to make any corrections. If you find something better that will save your finger tips, at a better price and a warranty that won't quit, let me know.
When I ask for parts from RCBS, they ask me what I'am doing. Swapping parts?? They won't sell them to me. "The parts you need are on their way at NO CHARGE". Can't beat that with a stick.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 04-18-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 AM

I hear ya Mike. I do love the window, especially for the sub calibers. I have the sleeves and seating plug for all calibers, but I really wish it was as good as most designated seaters.

The difference that I'm looking for is a sleeve that envelopes the entire top of the case, shoulder and body included, rather than the top two thirds of the neck like the RCBS Comp Seater and most standard die sets. Redding, Forster, and Whidden grab the whole cartridge, but their innards don't change out to change cartridges.

I took apart a couple hornady seaters tonight with the sliding sleeves. Only the top 50% or so of the neck is supported and the case can wiggle pretty easily. A redding comp die holds the entire neck, matches the shoulder and goes down the body a few tenths of an inch. The wiggle factor is non-existent.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:09 AM

All of the parts you need to swap with the Comp Seater dies are available from midway, gunstop, ect.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Default seating

Prose, you might try turning the brass 180 degrees after only partially seating a round. this can at times help reduce runout. I use the rcbs comp. seater for every thing under 30 cal. if not for it I would not be able to load small calibers with my old stiff fingers.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 AM

I do 120 degree turns as I have convinced myself that the stable three legged stool principal applies to bullet seating.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
IMHO, RCBS Compitition Seater Dies are the best. Runout? Never checked. Bullets are all going in the same hole so why bother? Pick them up used, swap the innards to get to the caliber you're after and you're good to go.
Can't get past the side window that you drop the bullet into. Sure saves the finger tips!! And, you can see if the bullet it straight. With every other seater die I've seen, you're working in the dark as soon as the ram goes up, then it's too late to make any corrections. If you find something better that will save your finger tips, at a better price and a warranty that won't quit, let me know.
When I ask for parts from RCBS, they ask me what I'am doing. Swapping parts?? They won't sell them to me. "The parts you need are on their way at NO CHARGE". Can't beat that with a stick.
So...Are you saying you use any rifle die and swap out the innards to match the case/caliber you are loading?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Supporting Member

The title of this thread is "Seating Die Conversion" questions.
You can get different "seating die" guts and swap around till it fits what you're working on.
Example: 6BR seater. Swap the "sleeve" to 22 caliber and seat a 22 BR round.
Swap to 20 and do a 20 BR.
Swap to .270 and do a 6.8 BR Wildcat.
If you've got the proper extended shell holder, swap the guts to what you need.

As far as a "rifle die"? They're usually one piece BUT, if you're working with a "bushing" die and the case body is the same as something else, like maybe a .221 Fireball and you want to form a 20 VT, swap bushings and you're almost there. You still have to consider the neck so the "button" will have to be changed also.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 07-12-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 AM

The Forster BR and Ultra seater dies you have to change 2 parts whether you are in the same case family or not, any neck diameter change means changing the seater stem, and chamber. the chambers are caliber specific and tight clearance, 223 AI will not fit a 223 seater chamber. These do hold full, tight case body/neck to seater chamber alignment, but the very thin walled seater stems (neck OD to allow full chamber and neck support) can be problematic and spread, locking in the chamber and making adjustments difficult when high seating force is used. Proved to be very inconsistent for me, with distorted ogives on 20's when at more than about .001" 'press fit'. Love the 6BR version.

My fave for 20's has become the cheap Hornady New Dimension 20 cal universal seater. It can even be used on real short cases (NorCalMikie ). no bullet deformation, easy seating.

Last edited by GrocMax; 07-13-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Supporting Member

I just happen to have one of the "Hornady New Dimension" universal seating dies in 20 caliber.

My preference in seating dies in the RCBS Competition die. The side window does it for me. Drop the bullet thru the side window and the guide sleeve keeps the bullet in place while it gets seated in the case neck.
With most of the others, you have to keep the bullet in place with your fingers as you raise the ram. More than once on the non Comp seaters, I've smashed my fingers on the up stroke. The smaller the bullet, the harder it is to keep the bullet in place. Never have checked run out on the finished loaded round. Accuracy wise, never felt the need.