Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Some good shooting there Montdoug.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM

Great shooting Doug.
Sweet looking rifle with that Lilja hanging off the front end.

Must be sumthin to the Match Chamber. Even my $160 green mountain SS Fluted sporter on my ruger 77/22 will impress.

At 100 yards and beyond the 22WMR sill holds no candle to the 17 HMR in the accuracy department though...... huh......

I have a ruger 77/22 VBZ that started life as a 22 mag that now has a Volquartsen 17HMR bull barrel that shoots consistently in .3" at 100 yards (5 shots.......yep, even I shoot 5 shot groups with rimfires)

Most accurate rimfire round and rifle I've ever owned that custom barreled 17 HMR Ruger Laminate.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-19-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Austin, great thread, and proves that the 22WMR is still very much alive among rat shooters. Some good shootin' too.

I've also got the 77/22 Mag VBZ with both a Lilja 22WMR and 17HMR barrels. Both shoot like yours and Doug's.....minute of squirrel. (wink)
I don't have any recent shots of mine with the WMR tube attached, but here's the last time out with her 17HMR barrel....never moved all afternoon, I was shooting a two-track that the rats were using to run across to access tall sage after feeding in the alfalfa from about 150 yards out.

Part of the brass pile while still working on it: (it got alot larger....)

A partial look at the carnage, which also got a lot worse as the afternoon wore on:

I shoot my Anschutz 1517D HB more than the Ruger, but it's sure nice to have that ten-round magazine in place with the Ruger when the rat shooting is as hot as it was that day. I use my Annie more for cruising the junipers and rock piles for rock chucks, but it's sure nice to have rifle options, right?

Weasel, you and Doug have got me all worked up with your post, but it's almost time for us to start having our way with Skippy too, so you're off the hook......for now. Keep your ratting adventures comin'!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Austin, great thread, and proves that the 22WMR is still very much alive among rat shooters. Some good shootin' too.

I've also got the 77/22 Mag VBZ with both a Lilja 22WMR and 17HMR barrels. Both shoot like yours and Doug's.....minute of squirrel. (wink)
I don't have any recent shots of mine with the WMR tube attached, but here's the last time out with her 17HMR barrel....never moved all afternoon, I was shooting a two-track that the rats were using to run across to access tall sage after feeding in the alfalfa from about 150 yards out.

Part of the brass pile while still working on it: (it got alot larger....)

A partial look at the carnage, which also got a lot worse as the afternoon wore on:

I shoot my Anschutz 1517D HB more than the Ruger, but it's sure nice to have that ten-round magazine in place with the Ruger when the rat shooting is as hot as it was that day. I use my Annie more for cruising the junipers and rock piles for rock chucks, but it's sure nice to have rifle options, right?

Weasel, you and Doug have got me all worked up with your post, but it's almost time for us to start having our way with Skippy too, so you're off the hook......for now. Keep your ratting adventures comin'!

Thanks Rick!
"It's all about the options".......even shooting a field full of rats gets a bit mundane using the same fodder.

Sweet rifle by the way! I love the Ruger 77 rimfire platform..........custom tubes make them even more lovable.

Looks like I had a few "teaser days"; old man winter showed up. Forecast looks like I won't be rat shooting again till mid march. But, as many as I've seen out already, I think we got a bumper crop again this year.