Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 AM

Default Help - Need Gunsmith to Refinish/Fix Wood Stock destroyed in shipping

Hello - new to the forum because I bought a 17 Rem. The rifle is a vintage custom L461 action in a highly figured maple thumbhole stock with a 20" heavy varmint barrel.

Today, I picked it up from my FFL only to find that the forearm end cap 3"-4" was no longer attached to the stock and neither was the end cap on the pistol butt. That's right - an epic shipping fail by the seller who only used a little bit of bubble wrap in a box exactly long enough for the barrel to come through the end as well as have it banged around enough by UPS to de-laminate stock components.

I need names/recommendations of people that can do this repair and refinish the stock. I need to get a quote so that seller and I can come to an agreement on the Credit and amount he needs to file under his shipping insurance.

Thanks,
Edward
Old 02-17-2018, 04:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ed:

Welcome to the best gun board on the web too.

Any chance you can share pictures of that mess?
Either here or e'mail. I've fixed a few, mostly depends
on how bad it's delaminated.

I'd fully believe the guy should just buy another stock and be done with it.
NO ONE can EVER fix such breaks so they can't be seen. You'll never be happy
with a repair no matter how well it's done. Just some friendly advice.

That's a big problem with thumbholes, not much support with that big hole.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 02-17-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:28 AM

Default Pictures of Stock - Pistol End Cap

Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Pictures of Stock - Forearm Cap Damage

Old 02-17-2018, 05:38 AM

Parts separated fairly clean along veneer transition. My big concern is the forearm cap...couldn't have picked worse place to put a sling swivel.

My thoughts are that I probably need to drill and epoxy 2 pieces of steel rod between the stock and forearm end cap to reinforce. Thoughts?

Recommendations on who might be able to do this and provide a quote for shipping insurance claim?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Supporting Member

The forearm cap was never properly installed. There should be a dowel rod run from the cap into the forearm. The glue that was used originally did not do it's job either. Fairly simple repair. Surgical tubing works best for keeping the components in place after you apply your glue. I would recommend using a 2 part component such as Brownells Acraglass gel. Make sure to clean any excess off the exterior after you put pressure with the surgical tubing. Acra glass is pretty forgiving as far as cure time. You have plenty of time to clean things up and get them sitting properly without things bonding together. If done correctly there should be no need to refinish the stock.

Aaron
Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 PM

That is not to bad of a fix. I will say I don't think it was done properly to begin with is why it failed.
I am no wood worker but have been around a few stock builds, mostly shotguns. That tip and grip cap should have had a pin or two in it.

Jeff
Old 02-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Not to worry. Clean brakes on both pieces so easy repair that probably won't even show when done. Also,VERY NICE STOCK!!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Discount off Purchase Price?

All of my hobbies are throw-back...I happen to be a woodworker. I've not built stocks, but I immediately thought it needed additional support. The repair is straight forward.

Seller should have foreseen that his poor packing would result in damage during shipping. At some point even the barrel pierced the box and roughed up the front lip (crown was unscathed).

The question is how much is the discount off the sales price for the repair, which will be covered by shipping insurance?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Help--Need Gunsmith to refinish/fix wood stock destroyed in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
All of my hobbies are throw-back...I happen to be a woodworker. I've not built stocks, but I immediately thought it needed additional support. The repair is straight forward.

Seller should have foreseen that his poor packing would result in damage during shipping. At some point even the barrel pierced the box and roughed up the front lip (crown was unscathed).

The question is how much is the discount off the sales price for the repair, which will be covered by shipping insurance?
If you are a wood worker, then you know how to dowell and repair the tip and cap. Most gunsmiths would repair/clean up the muzzle end for around $50.00. I would think if you and the seller can agree, around $100.00 would cover it.
But then again that is just my .02 Bill K