Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Why would CCI tell me

Eyes are eyes all right, but then again, may be one reason as often told too do over the years. wear hearing and sight protection. This could be on any rifle/handgun shooting.
I have had had necks split on occasion with the 17 and 22 rimfire cases in a couple calibers, over the years. But it has never caused any issues, that I am aware of.
The squirrel, rabbit or other critter shot at was hit and just as dead as the ones hit with a case that the neck did not have a split in it after being ejected.
And since I do not reload the rimfire, again I could care less.
Never noticed any blow back of powder, but then again I only have bolt actions on my 17 cal. and only one semi-auto (10-22 in 22rf) rifle. Bill K
Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Supporting Member

Bill I mostly only shoot rf 17s in semi auto loaders. I’ve found cracks in the necks of the ammo that honestly isn’t a huge concern of mine in a bolt action. But when you let the bolt slam shut on a loaded magazine, the pull it back to eject the case and find you bullet is now in your case is when I stopped to ask questions.

I thought the heck with the CCI answer (no disrespect intended), I’m push testing every round prior to shooting it - including newly manufactured ammo.

Hal, what I learned was that maybe the CCI tech had my best interest in mind so that when the powder is removed from the cartridge and you still have a bullet inside it, so you don’t have the bullet fall against the priming compound and set it off.

Another thing I learned was that although I was convinced that the cracked neck issue was the entire reason there was so many issues with this round in semi automatics there are still other issues beside crack necks/bullet set back contributing to the cause.

Just when I think I understood what was happening I realize that I don’t fully understand it all.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Maybe they told you not to do the "push" test as a safety measure?

As I mentioned before here at Saubier, I had issues with 17HMR ammo (Hornady,Winchester and CCI) concerning split necks. The Winchester ammo split almost all the way down the cases. I did fire or should I say tried to fire some Hornady with split necks in my brand new Ruger single seven and on the very first squeeze of the trigger a dud.

It sent the bullet half way between the cylinder and the barrel causing me to have to tap it out to get the revolver to function again. Wasn't a fun time for me.

I'm not a rocket scientist but I think once the neck splits upon just sitting there it allows air in to the case and the powder go's bad by taking in moisture?

I would never feel safe using 17hmr ammo in a semi auto!

Regardless of the cylinder/chamber size they should not split! They should form to the chamber. I've had them split just sitting in their boxes and have fired brand new shiny ones and extracted split cases from the action. The nature of the beast? I like the round a lot but it really makes me not want any rim fires

Last edited by Jingle; 02-19-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Maybe they tell told you not to do the "push" test as a safety measure?

As I mentioned before here at Saubier, I had issues with 17HMR ammo (Hornady,Winchester and CCI) concerning split necks. The Winchester ammo split almost all the way down the cases. I did fire or should I say tried to fire some Hornady with split necks in my brand new Ruger single seven and on the very first squeeze of the trigger a dud.

It sent the bullet half way between the cylinder and the barrel causing me to have to tap it out to get the revolver to function again. Wasn't a fun time for me.

I'm not a rocket scientist but I think once the neck splits upon just sitting there it allows air in to the case and the powder go's bad by taking in moisture?

I would never feel safe using 17hmr ammo in a semi auto!

Regardless of the cylinder/chamber size they should not split! They should form to the chamber. I've had them split just sitting in their boxes and have fired brand new shiny ones and extracted split cases from the action. The nature of the beast? I like the round a lot but it really makes me not want any rim fires
Good points

Hornady tech told me that same thing about powder going bad by sitting there in a case with a cracked neck and that is the only reason I decided to have a large quantity of ammo replaced which I would have otherwise shot in my bolt gun.

I agree about the splits but I wouldn’t go as far as to say regardless of the chamber size. Over the years I’ve had one that was pretty darn oversized to the point it was swollen way out just above case head. Didn’t crack but it was a lot thicker brass.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the explanation, Gary.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 PM
Banned

Default CCI cracked

I called CCI one time about the HMR splits. And you know what that guy asked me? You guys ain't going to believe this! But he asked me if I had cats?!!! I said no I hate cats!!! Then I said what the hell is cats got to do with it? He said the smell from the litter box could cause the brass to split !! Maybe the ammonia or something??? The guys name at CCI was Coy Getmen.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM

Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking

In my opinion, the problem is actually with the high residual stresses in the formed brass, and the variability of the strength and annealing of the brass/cases. Those rounds are on the ragged edge of mechanical properties. The ammo maker needs to have better quality control on their processes.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 AM
Supporting Member

Until proven otherwise, I will still stand by my original statement that Winchester has indeed started producing their own ammo correcting the very nature of this issue.

It would not however surprise me that this is not true. But until proven otherwise, I have no reason to doubt the person who gave me this information that was directly from Winchester. At this point I believe her.

By the way, if you ever pop one of them rimfire primers by bouncing a little 17 gr pill off the bottom of the case. And it’s late at night in your reloading room, then it will definitely wake you up and you just might possibly need a roll of toilet paper. Be careful with those cracked cases once the powder gone out of it. While the bullet didn’t leave the case, it sounded like it should have!

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:36 AM

Are they saying don't push the bullets or don't use them in a semi-automatic other than a Savage A17? There's a disclaimer on the boxes regarding this use.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/educat...ty_notice.aspx
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Are they saying don't push the bullets or don't use them in a semi-automatic other than a Savage A17? There's a disclaimer on the boxes regarding this use.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/educat...ty_notice.aspx
I am saying right now that they said don't do either one however I was only referring to don’t push the bullet in test to check for cracked necks.

Not using other it in 17 semi automatics has been pretty obvious for the most part for a long to almost every shooter I have spoken too.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 02:55 PM.