Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 AM

I agree with what several of you have said about the same bullet. The lot to lot variations in bullet base to ogive and bullet base to tip length does vary from lot to lot. When I shot High Power years ago, I used Sierra Match Kings and their lengths and ogive varied considerably, maybe even more than the VMAX that I have used for varmint shooting. All shot great on paper for matches, but never shot them over 600 yds. Changing winds and reading the variation was always greater than the slight variation in bullet shape, at least in my experience and abilities.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

shoot 'em n don't worry about it!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I agree with what several of you have said about the same bullet. The lot to lot variations in bullet base to ogive and bullet base to tip length does vary from lot to lot. When I shot High Power years ago, I used Sierra Match Kings and their lengths and ogive varied considerably, maybe even more than the VMAX that I have used for varmint shooting. All shot great on paper for matches, but never shot them over 600 yds. Changing winds and reading the variation was always greater than the slight variation in bullet shape, at least in my experience and abilities.
This sort of answers a question... Don't mix your lots...I was wondering...
Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Supporting Member

Years ago in a time before sub.22 cals my go to accuracy bullets to try first were always Sierra. I was loading 55 grain Sierras into my .22-250 and went from one lot to the next. I had to open a new lot of the same bullet. I made a dummy round where the seater was adjusted for the last lot and when I measured off the ogive the bullet was set .016 deeper, no kidding. That was the worse I've seen, it was long ago and I sure don't see those variances now but that is a lot!
Anymore it's just a habit every time I open a new box of a different lot I always measure and adjust if needed. Makes a strong case for micrometer seaters to me.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:32 PM

Different sets of dies have different amounts of wear and produce different heights ogives on bullets.
Sierra Matchkings are supposed to be made on 2 machines only and those bullets are boxed separately so the ogives in one box are the same.
Other bullets do not have this luxury, which is why bullet lengths, from base to tip after seating, vary up to .005" sometimes more. Some makes and weights are worse than others. This is what I have found. You may have had different results.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:58 AM

32gn Z max, V Max and Nosler B/T shoot into the same hole in my 20/222, Zmax wins on price alone, I have over 5000 in stock. 50gn Z Max in my 222 beat the V max, unless that was just me showing my bias.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM

COLOR MATTERS!

But, only to the purchaser....The bullets could care less...they just do their job as if Color Blind!

I know Nosler sorta uses color to identify different bullets, but not consistently enough to judge their whole line of bullets on color alone.

Personally, I like their purple color the best...mainly because of how well Nosler's purple 55 grain 6mm bullets shoot.

Hopefully, Hornady's Zombie Green and that whole idea of marketing, got the guy/gal that thought it up, a promotion!

Bill