Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2023, 03:20 AM

Default Forming 22K hornet brass

I recently made 17H hornet brass after necking to 17 cal, and annealing, I used 6.0 grains of Unique powder, topped off with cornmeal and then a tissue wad. It worked great.
Can I fire form 22K hornet with the same process? I’d prefer to not use real bullets to fireform.

Last edited by df06; 03-13-2023 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:04 PM

Cream of wheat, corn meal and even tissue paper, have been used in fire forming most all cases, by some.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:36 PM

When I'm forming K-Hornet from Hornet, I just load a bullet over a stiff charge of the powder I use for this case (A1680), and go rat shooting.

I can't see wasting primers and powder shooting breakfast food. Why not just load the fireforming load and go shoot varmints? The Hornet case comes out of the action fully formed, ready for K-loading. Been doing this since 1970, the squirrels don't seem to notice any difference, and I'm not wasting components, only the squirrels.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:45 PM

I am with Rick on the method of fire forming. And you will be surprised, quite often, on how accurate the fire forming loads are. Plus you see those little squeeks and such go into orbit.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:13 PM
Supporting Member

Eastern Oregon Rat feeding society "flight lessons" . With the right equipment it can be much better than a barrel of Monkeys, warm a cold day, and create memories forever.

I had that several years ago on a secret ranch in Northern California, after a tip from a friend with a contact that turned out to have grown up with relatives of mine. Rancher was cantankerous until he figured you out, then he was like a kid looking at our tools of the trade. Seems a unwanted Wolverine came back to life and got him pretty excited. Poor Suzuki Samuri, lol, that came up from my neck of the woods.

To the post. I fully suggest trying a few rounds of hornet ammo, purchased or reloaded, before wasting time. I do have a Browning 22 hornet that factory ammo produces backed out primers, but it isn't an Ackley , which makes it worse.

Load them to full load data and pop a few primers.

Allen

( Tik-Tock)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I am with Rick on the method of fire forming. And you will be surprised, quite often, on how accurate the fire forming loads are. Plus you see those little squeeks and such go into orbit.
Me too Bill, when I had the craze with a very nice Brno Fox Mod 2 rechambered to K Hornet back in the early 90's, just load and shoot hornet ammo, I even went as far as shooting WW factory ammo through it to get enough brass, it was cheap back then at about 20 bucks for 50 shots, who wouldn't.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:17 AM
Board Sponsor

For a good forming load at .22 LR ballistics 3.5g HP-38 or Win 231. Cast bullet and we ring the gong at 200yds all day long with a 10" contender.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com