Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Default .20 Practical

I'm having issues necking down .20 Practical brass. I'm on the second bushing, and I am only sizing about half the neck with the bushing ALL the way down. It's a fl Redding die adjusted to full length size the brass, with the bushing verified all the way down. Feeling a little perplexed.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Default 20 Practical

All I do is set my FL bushing die down, just touching the ram and using a .235 bushing for the first step in necking down 223 brass. Then I go to the .227 0r .226 bushing for the 2nd step and the brass is ready for priming and re-loading. So I can not understand why you are only doing part of the neck. Bill K
Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I'm having issues necking down .20 Practical brass. I'm on the second bushing, and I am only sizing about half the neck with the bushing ALL the way down. It's a fl Redding die adjusted to full length size the brass, with the bushing verified all the way down. Feeling a little perplexed.
The Redding bushing dies do not size the neck all the way to the shoulder. I use their bushing neck sizing dies and a shellholder I machined some off the face to get it down to the shoulder. The other option, albeit more expensive, is to use their bushing competition neck sizer with micrometer head. Then you can size as much or as little of the neck you want.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
All I do is set my FL bushing die down, just touching the ram and using a .235 bushing for the first step in necking down 223 brass. Then I go to the .227 0r .226 bushing for the 2nd step and the brass is ready for priming and re-loading. So I can not understand why you are only doing part of the neck. Bill K
Not trying to do part of the neck, that's all that it will size.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
The Redding bushing dies do not size the neck all the way to the shoulder. I use their bushing neck sizing dies and a shellholder I machined some off the face to get it down to the shoulder. The other option, albeit more expensive, is to use their bushing competition neck sizer with micrometer head. Then you can size as much or as little of the neck you want.
OK! I actually have both fl and neck sizer!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 PM

My Redding S neck sizer will go about 4/5ths of the way down. Go figger.

Forster 223 bushing bump die will get it all.

BTW the Forster 223 bushing die and comp mic seater you can get the decap stem assy (with 204 ball), seating stem and 204 body guide to convert to 20P use. You have to trim about .100" or so off the bottom of the 204R body guide for the seater die.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Just an FYI, I took .015 off the top of the shell holder and then brought it up tight against the die. Rounds chambered ok.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 PM

Your other option is to get a double ended forming die, mine is from bullberry if i remember correctly its been quite awhile ago when i got mine. The beauty of these is you can use them on any caliber there set up for.