Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 PM

I've got some pretty good shooting Green Mountain barrels but they only make a 10tw or used to only make a 10

Last edited by L.Sherm; 06-19-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 PM

It would be hard choosing anymore a good 17 barrel, there are so many out there today. A fairly solid leap of faith today with the major makers.

In earlier times, the materials and just the loss of barrels making said 17 caliber was kinda hard for some makers to get over. Remington recalled a lot of 17 barrels for "unknown" reasons when the 17 remington came out.

So making a 17 barrel is painful and costly, even worse is the 14's.

bullets for the 17 have evolved over the years, so some folks still use a 10 twist and some use a 9 twist. Kinda an old bullet/new bullet thing for some environments. Is one better than the other, depends upon your viewpoint I guess, both will do it ok within their parameters.

I believe that I have some straight taper 9 twist 17 barrels by Green Mountain, guess have to looksee the site for the latest. I seem to have more Shilen barrels across the board, the way it worked out. I do wish GM would offer a sporter taper of their barrels; maybe someday.

For me, I would favor a 17 barrel made by a maker heavy into the benchrest rifle circles. Just me. There are others that have earned their spot obviously from user reports as well.

Tis good to be in America.................
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I have a number of custom rifles with Shilen, Lilja and a Kreiger barrels, mostly the former two. They are very accurate.
Is there any bias toward these or another barrel maker for custom .172 cal barrels when looking for the best accuracy?

Thanks
My Cooper 21 Varmint Extreme 17 Remington has a Shilen Barrel and I am very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with barrels from any of the premium makers. I suppose that barrel installation, bedding and the ammunition would make more difference than choice of premium barrel.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
My Cooper 21 Varmint Extreme 17 Remington has a Shilen Barrel and I am very happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with barrels from any of the premium makers. I suppose that barrel installation, bedding and the ammunition would make more difference than choice of premium barrel.
I agree. A guy hates to waste money on a cheap barrel but there are a lot of factory barrels that will shoot just as good as any other with the right work. You just have a better chance of a good shooter with tight tolerances. I have a $4500 custom 6 Creedmoor and a $700 .204 Ruger that shoot about the same out to 500 yards. What gives. It’s all fun though.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
I agree. A guy hates to waste money on a cheap barrel but there are a lot of factory barrels that will shoot just as good as any other with the right work. You just have a better chance of a good shooter with tight tolerances. I have a $4500 custom 6 Creedmoor and a $700 .204 Ruger that shoot about the same out to 500 yards. What gives. It’s all fun though.
Well if they both shoot about the same, and they are similar configurations, either you have an outstanding .204 or the custom 6 CM needs some work.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM

My Pac-Nor .17 HMR barrel is 9" twist.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:31 PM

I recently purchased a Ruger 77/22Mag off this forum from Rick In Oregon. Along with purchasing the rifle I purchased the Lilja 17HMR drop in barrel that he had. I can't say enough about the Lilja Barrel. At 75 yards I shot a ragged hole 10 shot group. That is with rimfire ammo. I'm sure if Lilja can make a drop in rimfire barrel that shoots that well their other 17 caliber stuff is good as well. I put together a custom 20 VarTarg with a Shilen barrel. It shoots lights out as well. Of course I'm not sure if Shilen makes a 17 cal barrel.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I just asked the question to a Krieger phone rep about Krieger 17 caliber barrels as I remembered in my mind that they did make them in the past.

His response was that Krieger did make 17 caliber barrels at one time, but it has been "maybe 5 or more years" since then quit making them. If you call you might get a different answer, but that was what I was told less than 10 minutes ago.

-BCB
Interesting, I did not know Kreiger quit making them. haven't bought one in probably 10 years but am still surprised they dropped them. Probably goes back to what I said about them being a real pain to make. I guess I will have to baby the two I still have. Lilja does make excellent sub caliber barrels, forgot to mention them in my first post but I would take one in a second if I was rebarreling another 17.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 AM

Shilen has made 17 cal barrels for a long time.