Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM

I like the capacity to be larger than 500 for weighing bullets and arrows. Minimum of 1,000grains, I need.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
1st digital was a Pact, battery job. drifted. 2nd was a RCBS 750 ,drifted. Drug my RCBS 505 back out and use it now. Life is good.

Don't throw that old beam scale out you will need it.
I second that ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I mostly use my Hornady beam...but for things like sorting bullets a good digital is really nice. I wish that I still had my old dial a gram cocaine scale, it seemed like it was awesome... But then everything seemed awesome at that time.

I can't believe you guys still throwing good hard earned cash on scales to throw powder... I thought everyone went to volume over weight
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 PM

I am still using my old Ohaus/RCBS 505 beam scale. Every scale or whatever is sensitive to drafts and debris/oils in the air. I have never owned an electronic model, probably never will.

I find that when the old 505 acts up, I try to inspect the knife surfaces and clean them up a little.

I do like the nice micrometer powder measures but as in most things, gotta have good notes and remember to note large or small click as well as powder lot.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM

+1 on what rick w. said. Watch for drafts and low humidity (static electricity). Clean and degrease the knife edges and bearing surfaces on the mechanical scale. Also make sure the damper and magnets don't have dust and make draft on the damper.

I did buy a cheap electronic balance for weighing bullets quickly, but don't use it for powder.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 PM
Supporting Member

A lot of people confuse resolution as being the same as accuracy. They are two separate things.

As Gary stated, electronic scales have their advantages for things such as weighing cases and bullets, etc., where speed is a wanted variable. However, for powder charges, I trust a balance beam a lot more because they never wander due to air current changes in a room or because of electrical interference from lights and other nearby electrical devices. I recognize that you can buy interference blockers for electronic scales, but about all they accomplish in total is to increase the price of the electronic scale.

Just my experience.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-17-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I like the capacity to be larger than 500 for weighing bullets and arrows. Minimum of 1,000grains, I need.
So you weigh heavy bullets and arrows to within .01grains?
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Consistently accurate, high resolution

I just needed a scale that can weigh small charges rapidly and reliably. My old balance beam works well, as does the powder charger. The beam does manage to weigh charges under three grains yet it is both a slow and tedious process. Flake powders meter as well as corn flakes, so that won't cut it either.

My only remedy is either a powder that burns fast like red dot or blue dot and meters very reliably in the sub 3 grain range, or an electronic scale. Tiny cartridges are really good therapy for ocd.

What is the most consistent and least vigorous small pistol or rifle primer available?

Last edited by 17tbs; 06-03-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Default scales

I trickle a charge on my electronic scale then touch the pan and it returnes almost always off 1-3 tenths, a little much on a 17 Hornet or Vartarg or a 6mm Dasher load you would like to see good numbers on, went back to my beam scale. sgtg out
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM

I purchased a Hornady electric scale for weighing cases as my balance beam was way too slow for the task. I rely on the balance beam for the most part. But, in setting the powder measure, it sure does speed things up in getting the correct settings for a particular cartridge.

Here is what I have found. Vibration does have an effect as could wind if I have the garage door open. But, I find that once getting the balance beam set, the electronic is within .01. I usually weigh bullets of known weight each month and they never vary in the reading. Seems to be much more accurate than my friends RCBS. I would buy another one.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Supporting Member

Here is some good info on scale tune up,

See info here,
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...#post-36170905

The extended pointer is worth adding also,
it has made my loads more accurate.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...#post-36006010

YMMV,

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan

Tags
.172", accurate powder, scales, small charges