Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... as much on chamber, free bore, barrel condition, etc., as it does on the length. The only way you can do it properly is to actually chop the barrel and measure the velocity for each length.

I've tried several times to make the comparison in different rifles with different barrel lengths. Only once was there any correlation between the length and velocity, and I later found marked differences in the chamber.

In one case, two Coopers with 24" and 20" barrels were the same, but faster than two rifles with 22" barrels.

In some cases, such as the 17HMR, there is an optimum barrel length somewhat between 16" and 26". Measurements were made while cutting the barrel down in 1" increments.

Age is robbing me of memory, and i cannot remember the commercial outfit that posted the HMR velocity measurements, but my data appeared in Small Caliber News in articles on the 17AH and 17M4..

Alex
That would be ideal, but if I tell Adam that, I think he may laugh a little. I was hoping someone had tried a shorter barrel already. I need to tell him how long I want it when I send him the barrel and the gun. I am leaning 20".
Old 05-26-2017, 03:14 PM

As I recall, it was one of the Contender barrel makers, but will have to search for it later.

There is also a very good article on 22LR in the 1992 Gun Digest by Ed Harris on barrel length and chamber designs.

Last edited by TinMan; 05-26-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Bullberry did it for a few, like 17hmr and .204, I will have to look there! I forgot about them.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ45 View Post
I just checked the Noslers site, RDF et al, but only found a 70 gr 224 - nothing lighter.
What bullet were you referencing please?
53gr nosler varmageddon tipped .303 bc with a flat base even https://www.nosler.com/varmageddon-bullet/

the hornady variant is still impressive at .290 bc
Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 AM

The problem I found with my CZ 527 .221 FB is that the suppressor heats up fast- of course how many until it is hot depends on ambient temp. , wind etc.. 7 shots maybe? When it gets hot, accuracy deteriorates noticeably.

The accuracy deterioration is possibly also due to the barrel being hot and whipping with the suppressor on the end. ?

I had the factory barrel shortened to 17 or 18 inches. ( I am in a hotel with it now but don't have a tape measure with me). Without the suppressor it shoots a pretty good flame out the barrel. Without the suppressor it shoots about 4" high and a little to the right at 100 yds. Compared to with suppressor.

I really enjoy and use it as a truck gun - when I am only going to take an occasional shot or three or four. I won't take it into the skippy patch or PD town, due to the above reasons.

The barrel for my .221 FB being built is 21" with threads for the suppressor/ brake/thread protector.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:16 AM

neilA. what contour is the cz? that could play a factor, also have you checked to see if your barrel free floats with the suppressor on and barrel hot?

My experience with suppressors are limited but I have shot my cousin's on his .308 on a few occasions and we've gotten that thing so hot that you can't hardly see through the mirage and thats with a cover even. lol accuracy never degraded with his. (tikka ctr with ultra7 tbac)

if it shoots good without the suppressor I would look to outside influences beyond the suppressor for the accuracy problem.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:55 AM

I did the exact same thing with a 24" 20 vt barrel. Cut a 24" down to 20" and threaded for a can. I lost about 100 fps total. The 20 vt is pretty quiet with the can and dosen't seem to heat up to fast. A 221 should be about the same.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Thanks, that's what I am looking for. A #4 contour "should" take a little longer to heat up, I hope! I think 20" will be what I pick. I know a few guys that hunt PD's with AR's with silencers and have no issues, and one guy hunts like he is in a war zone. A 20" should be a good balance on an L46.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Supporting Member

I had my 221 cut to 22". Great for swinging out the jeep window. light to carry and handle...
Old 05-28-2017, 04:45 AM

Just as a reference point QL shows that a 221 FB, 40 vmax, IMR 4227 ( which shows to be an optimum powder for this combo ), 20" bbl running at 3275 will burn 95% of the powder at just past the 14" mark in the barrel.