Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Not to take away anything from your adventure.
One time about '98 or so I was crawling under a fence.
(here in antelope country the goats crawl under rather than jump) ranchers build their fence's with the bottom wire 18-20" off the ground. Whole lot easier to crawl under than thru.

Anyway, just as I kneeled down one popped up from a hole that didn't have any mound by it. Saw me and dropped. I had the .222mag then and just laid down under the fence with the muzzle next to the hole ready to fire. Sure thing, in a couple minutes it popped back up and I had to wipe the splatters off my face! Don't believe the muzzle was over 6-10" from the p/dog.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-17-2017, 01:37 PM

I would not crawl under a fence out there. I asked if they had snakes and she said oh ya, I carry a S&W Governor with her every time she goes out on her horse. her and her brother have contests to see who shoots the most rattlesnakes. I carried a 642 loaded with 7 1/2 shot very easy to get to. I did not see any, but I looked before I walked, always.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Photos up

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Default Photos up 2

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-17-2017, 05:49 PM

Thanks. These towns often go for over a mile. I have no idea how many there are but dozens per pasture, and dozens more smaller towns. In the photo of the Antelope if you look closely you can see a couple of dogs behind it that I have to wait for the Antelope that was standing there watching me shoot, to move. Several times I had to see where the Antelope were standing before I could shoot, because they liked to watch. It is really hard to actually imagine how large the towns are until you see them. I had intention of doing some vids and putting on Youtube, but I was way too busy shooting. Thanks for putting up the photo's!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 PM

my guess is that antelope had a fawn near by. Have been shooting before and had does walk right through my firing area, collect a fawn, and then move off. The young fawns won't move for anything. You literally can walk up to a bedded fawn and it will not move a muscle.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Default sage rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Awesome, now you have got me wanting to drive over there. I've always wanted to shoot PD's.........grass is grown up too tall in my neck of the woods. Squeek shooting is all but over for me this season. HMMM???
headed out monday to our spot in NV, they have been cutting all week. so hopefully we catch it just right, other than the heat wave that is.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
my guess is that antelope had a fawn near by. Have been shooting before and had does walk right through my firing area, collect a fawn, and then move off. The young fawns won't move for anything. You literally can walk up to a bedded fawn and it will not move a muscle.
Possibly, but multiple times I had to stop my pickup and set while they slowly walked right in front of the pickup. Ty said that is how they act until the season starts, like they know the day it starts. I hoped to see the elk heard out there but didn't, just the mulies and bald eagles.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
The Fiddleback Ranch north of Douglas, Wyoming is crawling with the little buggers. PM me for contact info. I shot 501 in 3 days and I did NOT count all of the head/ body shots that went in the hole, where I could not see blood, which would be several dozen more. More details latter.
moorepower,

Glad you had a good shoot, however in my opinion you may have shared too much information. You should generalized a bit more - for instance, the Douglas,
Wy area rather than naming the ranch, the reason being is that that the owners will be inundated with phone calls from folks who want to hunt there, or when you go back it will be shot out.

Just my two cents.

drover
Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Prairie Dogs

Totally agree Drover. A person needs to be careful and how or how many folks he tells about his shooting/honey hole areas. Bill K