Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Browning Salt Treated Stocks

Sorry, not a small caliber question, but you guys here are great. I have a Browning rifle that has a stock that was salt treated/dried and I wanted to get the stock refinished. After removing the metal from the stock my gunsmith found a brown tint/rust on the under side of the metal. Does anyone have any experience with this and can tell me want to do?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:22 PM

some folks use silver nitrate to test for salts in gunstocks. The solution turns milky in the presence of salts.

Just my opinion, if so affected with curing salt contamination; is to burn the stock and get another one. One hears of application of a tough clear finish, but always will fail in my opinion sometime or other. Some of those stocks will make you weak in the knees to do such.................

I think the silver nitrate observation will obviously beat hearsay or best guesses on just what is going on........
Old 08-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Supporting Member

Ruger did it on a couple No. 1's and I happen to get one. Pitted the rear of rec'r and nearly ate the threads off the rear swivel stud. Nasty idea.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:09 PM

The silver nitrate is the reagent that detects the chloride in the salt.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

not only browning but I think there was a few Weatherby's and some of the browning t bolts 22lr's. I have never seen one so I can't be much help. you might be able to glass bead the metal and stop it.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Supporting Member

rick w is right, burn it. I think every trick in the book has been tried trying to salvage these salt wood stocks. None have worked. That said some are much worse than others about rusting/corroding the metal that contacts the wood. You might could live with it.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 PM

My older Ruger no.1 with the glorious wood had the salt malady. I thought I might be able to live with it, and bought it anyway. Was not the best decision that I ever had made. I thought I was smart back then.

I think I would consider the silver nitrate as a decision maker. Tis used in some medical stuff and not always easy to procure, however; some gunshops offer small containers for testing stocks. I guess I would be right interested in knowing that it was salt cure issue if it was mine..............and not just a semi normal rust issue from moisture collection etc.

My No.1 had the issue with the buttstock, the corrosion if you will, was starting on the rear of the receiver on one side. The screws were very........very difficult to remove; thick with rust in the grooves. The forearm exhibited nothing.

Good wood as in the heyday of the No.1's and Brownings being so beautiful is hard to replace today. I have a chunk of semi plain English semi inletted set that is going on that rifle if I live long enough. The rifle was a 22/250, now it is a 45acp of all things, but still wood on such still makes me smile a little.

I guess my counsel would be to check for the known attributes of salt wood first with the nitrate mentioned. It may not be salt wood, here is hoping anyway. If not salt cure residues, the stuff can be dealt with easier. If salt wood, I know of no cure that will not eat the metal away in time. There are those out there that say this or that will do the trick on salt wood. Hard to destroy something that nice, high grade guns are........high grade guns.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:23 AM

[quote=rick w.;273596] ... The rifle was a 22/250, now it is a 45acp of all things, ...[/QUOTe

S E R I O U S L Y ??????
Old 08-24-2018, 02:25 AM
Supporting Member

I had a 20 gauge superposed I bought knowing it was a salt gun.
After a few years, I sent it to Art's gun shop in Missouri. He was able to look at it and give me an idea what it would cost to repair the rust and restock it. Long story/short, he made me an offer for it I couldn't refuse and I got my money out of it. His website has videos of salt guns they have restored and they do an amazing job. He was very knowledgeable and interesting to talk to.
This might be an option you would be interested in.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:04 AM

Saltwood has been the Bain of the original Browning T bolts, I didn't care for the new ones so kept looking for an Original, finally found one but knew it was a Saltwood stock but its still in very usable condition. I keep a good coat of Renaissance wax on the metal and hope it doesn't get a lot worse, I only paid $300 for it and figure I'll get that much enjoyment out of it. It's a very nice shooter.

Right under the tip of the fore end...

The remainder of the receiver is rust free until you get to the magazine well/floor plate area.