Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Gunsmith recommendation: Cost to set back a barrel from .204 Ruger to .20 Vartarg?

I'm thinking about having a barrel set back from .204 Ruger to .20 Vartarg and am wondering how much I should expect it to cost? I'm hoping it will be reasonable. I'm also looking for gunsmith recommendations.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 PM

Considering that you are going to a significantly shorter cartridge and the existing threaded tenon probably removed, I believe your cost will approximate the cost of threading and chambering a blank; possibly a little less as polishing the barrel and machining the crown maybe not being required if in good shape.
May want to check with forum member ab bentley (Dresden Gun Co.) ref. the cost.
https://www.thedresdengunco.com/

PS: Just one person's opinion, but I would be very careful spending any significant money on a factory barrel.

Last edited by JohnHenry; 12-16-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post

PS: Just one person's opinion, but I would be very careful spending any significant money on a factory barrel.

this, emphatically
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Gunsmith recommendation:

If you are dealing with a savage barrel especially, then Bob Vining (RwBev) on site is one to talk to. He will tell you if you have enough on the shank to set it back and can do it. Cost should be around 120.00 and some shipping, for a ballpark figure. PM him and discuss what you have and want. Adam, as mentioned above is also another good source to talk too. Bill K
Old 12-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Adam can do it. He's got a great VT reamer
Old 12-16-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
this, emphatically
I have one of the Howa 1500 Mini rifles in .204. The gun was bought to be a walk around varmint gun and also a truck gun. Where it will see it's main use, it will unlikely ever be shot beyond 250 yards. There are some neighbors around the property and I want to tone down the report a little on the .204 while still retaining the flatness with a light bullet like the 32 blitzking/Vmaxes, and the 35 Berger.

I have friends that are avid prairie doggers with custom rigs, and I'm familiar with the Vartarg and quality barrels and rifles, but I don't absolutely need benchrest groups from this little rig. The gunsmith we have always used retired so now I'm looking for a reasonably priced, knowledgeable smith to do the work.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 PM

You might call Randal Seitzinger in West Newton, Pa. He's done some work for me...…….contact info is 724-872-5333
Old 12-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
Considering that you are going to a significantly shorter cartridge and the existing threaded tenon probably removed, I believe your cost will approximate the cost of threading and chambering a blank; possibly a little less as polishing the barrel and machining the crown maybe not being required if in good shape.
May want to check with forum member ab bentley (Dresden Gun Co.) ref. the cost.
https://www.thedresdengunco.com/

JH is real close to being spot on.

This past spring I had one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets set back and Kevin Weaver cut a whole new chamber, i'd have to look but I think it was right around $300. It was kind of a experiment I wanted to do, but to do all over I'd pony up another $350 for a new barrel and go that route before I'd ever spend money on a factory barrel again.

Also, since you'll likely be cutting a good amount of your 204 barrel off to rechamber it to 20VT, depending on the barrel, but you may not have enough shank in order to do that. Regardless, I'd still recommend starting with a new custom barrel. I just had a 20-222 built and used a Hart barrel, it only took 4 weeks to get the barrel, which is very fast compared to most others and like all my Hart barrels, it shoots very well.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 PM

The 20VT is certainly an excellent cartridge. As an option, you may want to try a lighter 204R load and see what accuracy you get. The velocity of a starting 204R(32gr) load is approximately the same as a max 20VT(32gr) load.

FYI: https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...ifle-loads.pdf

Last edited by JohnHenry; 12-16-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Bob green is in York pa. He’s working on a 20 vt for me now. Hes been good working with so far and his prices are reasonable.