Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2020, 12:00 AM

Default Cooper/Talley Scope Mounting Question

I know there are lots of Cooper owners on this forum and I'm really hoping one of you can help me out. I recently purchased a Cooper Model 52 Excaliber in .338 Win Mag.....I know I know, it's a BIG caliber but I got plenty of small stuff and really wanted a dedicated Elk rifle. So I bought it. It currently has Warne Bases on it and I would like to go to the lightweight Talley one piece scope mount/ring system. I have this setup on a Model 22 and love it. I am going to equip the rifle with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 1" Scope. I don't know what height I need for this setup. I would just simply check the setup on the Model 22 but it came setup so I don't now if they are low, medium, or high. I just want to buy once and not have to ship anything back because its the wrong height.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:43 AM
Supporting Member

Call Talley, they will help you!
Old 01-02-2020, 01:53 AM

Lightweight rings and .338 magnum doesn't sound right. Did you consider just leaving the Warne bases in place and get some Warne rings? Those things are heavy duty, and a medium height should accommodate a 44mm objective.

I do understand the desire for the one piece Tally rings. They have a really clean look to them.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:03 PM

[quote=SS427;286867]Lightweight rings and .338 magnum doesn't sound right.

This thought has crossed my mind as well but they make those rings specific for all the Cooper Models. Which would include the biggest of the big calibers. I wouldn't think a company would produce a product that wouldn't hold up. The look of them is just the best out there. Less screws mean the less things that could go wrong with a setup.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

This is just me, and remember that I'm old and old fashioned. However. on a larger bore rifle with considerable recoil that might get hunted hard, I would opt for all steel mounts. Probably nothing will ever happen, but steel gives a bit of an edge over aluminum alloy scope mounts.

When I went into the back country on horse mounted hunts, etc. I always carried an extra set of scope bases and rings just in case. When I could, I also brought along an extra scope well packed in bubble wrap inside of a sleeping bag. "Stuff" sometimes happens and if/when you're a long way from help if something breaks, and extras can be a life saver.

If its to be used for lighter hunting, the Talleys will probably hold up just fine. I say that with a caveat: The only bases/rings I've seen fail in the past 20 years - they were not on a rifle of mine - were Talley lightweights. The front base cracked in the base area between mounting screws on a Remington 700 rifle. I never heard what the cause was or if it was ever determined, but it was guessed at at the time, and cold weather got the blame. Due to aluminum bases screwed to steel utilizing steel screws with different coefficients of expansion between the two metals.....? Maybe...? Cold got blamed because it was very cold for all 10 days. It might have just been a manufacturing defect in this one base alone however.

Color me old...............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-02-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: clarity......................
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM

Lows will work with that scope. I have used mediums with the 52mm objective Z5, with plenty of clearance.