Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default As far off topic as possible, aftermarket pick-up motor and tranny question?

Figured there had to be a gear head or two out there and I'm fixing to put an engine and tranny as well as paint ,new wheels and tires on my 1989 GMC K1500 4X4 (dang that's been a good truck!!). Gonna bump the horse power a bit and redo the suspension, got a fantastic body and paint man to do the beautifying and his Dad who's the best upholstery man do the guts.
Basically make my hunting a rig that'll make me nervous whenever I us it, brilliant huh ?
I have a friend who owns a rebuild shop recommend a Jasper motor and tranny but another shop owning friend say's Jasper trannys aren't so hot???
Any experience out there? The 5.7L engine in it was about 204 horse at birth I believe but it's got beaucoups miles on it so it sure isn't putting that out now even though it still runs real well.
There's my question, as off topic as possible but you guys are the only guys I know to talk too. I'd like to say I'm having a mid life crises but I figure the chance of me hitting 142 is probably pretty slim
Thanks for any assistance in advance .
Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM

6.0L LS engine, ECU, wiring harness, and 4L80E swaps are rea$onable and very, very popular these days.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Supporting Member

Way out of my league. I’ve done many of what you speak but haven’t done one since 1989 or 1990 and have forgot what little I know.

It’d be hard for me not to just use a new $50k pickup for hunting and everything else. I’ve been softened up by all the modern convinced... especially backup cameras (can’t bend twist my neck very far) and averaging 20.7 mpg on highway is still got me scratching my head...

Good luck on it Doug, I can’t wait to see sone photos after you complete it. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 PM

If it has a ton of miles on it, I would look at the suspension real hard. Springs go flat. Also look at all your rubber bushings all through the chassis.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default Chevy

Get the 350 four by main 260 horse engine from summit or Jegs! I've worked at Brodix cylinder heads for 34 year, seen a lot of good engines that's the best one for the money! Low compression run on any gas! 260 horse 300ft lbs
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If it has a ton of miles on it, I would look at the suspension real hard. Springs go flat. Also look at all your rubber bushings all through the chassis.
So far all I've actually done is wheels and tires. The 6th of June I drop it off at Toms alignment considered the best in town for front end work. I was in the car business for a long time so I personally know most a these guys, told TJ (Toms son who grew-up in that place) to check out everything up there, transfer case to bearings to shocks to anything else he finds. A couple a guys here on the site who have been in that truck know what kinda monster hike it'd be if something up there shelled out and you were suddenly a pedestrian . The front end is a BFD when you're 75 miles from nowhere on a dirt road. Great points JSH! I'm a maintenance fanatic, I've lived out here in west all my life.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hey DOUG!!!

I have a 350 from my '88 GMC 4x4.

Wrecked it just after 3300, yes hundred miles.
New clutch all the way.

All the 4x4 stuff. Setting under a tarp on my patio.

You get it loaded and haul it ALL off for a Grand even.
I put way more than that in the machining. Bored, planed a bit too.

Both differentials, transfer, trans the works. New 2 core aluminum radiator,
39 gal gas tank. At least one mirror and some other loose parts. Carb isn't any good, let it set in the weather. Body of it's there. Truck was scraped out years ago.

Send me a pm with your txt number and I can send pictures even.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 05-27-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Way out of my league. I’ve done many of what you speak but haven’t done one since 1989 or 1990 and have forgot what little I know.

It’d be hard for me not to just use a new $50k pickup for hunting and everything else. I’ve been softened up by all the modern convinced... especially backup cameras (can’t bend twist my neck very far) and averaging 20.7 mpg on highway is still got me scratching my head...

Good luck on it Doug, I can’t wait to see sone photos after you complete it. Sounds like fun.
I'm with Gary on the "nicey nices" of a new truck......... My current mid-size 4X4 has an 8 speed auto with a 308 hp V-6 that does 18-20 mpg highway easily, depending on the terrain. (it gets around 18 mpg going up into the Texas Hill Country and 20+ mpg coming back down to sea level). And it easily seats five adults.

With the dual piston gas struts/shocks underneath it, it rides better on the highway with heavy lug tires than my wife's "girly-type" SUV. Everything vital underneath is protected with skid plates for when you want to "play around".

Restorations are fun, but in the end you still have what you originally had.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-27-2019, 02:43 PM

Default After it’s painted and the interior is done....

Drop it off in Colorado and I will get your motor and trans perked up.
A mild lift and some bigger tires and.....
Whatever you do Doug don’t test drive a new Tacoma or Ranger in the mean while
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM

Awesome Doug! Sounds like a sweet project. I learned how to drive when I was less than 10 years old in an old 85' GMC 2500 manual, could barely reach the pedals......that Granny gear sure makes it nice for a kid starting out in the hills.

I own a 2014 F150 4x4 supercab short bed with the 5.0l Coyote V8 (drove it new off the lot). The last year of the "steel body" when ford wen't aluminum in 2015. So, got the Truck for a crazy good cash price in June of 2014.

Anyway, my new ford still blue books for just a few thousand less than what I paid, nearly 5 years later. I never thought I'd drive a new truck, but with 55,000 miles on it so far, I have no regrets.

With that being said, I just bought a 1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 2dr, 1.6l 16Valve 5 speed manual.

I have a feeling my F150 is going to see a lot less miles in the future.

Something fun about cruising around in an older rig, especially the 5 speeds (which I grew up on and have owned solely with the exception of the new F150).

Anyway, this new Geo Tracker I bought is in really good shape. I plan on driving it to the ground and rebuilding it when needed, similar to your plan.

Be sure to take some pics of your newly restored pickup, sounds exciting!!