Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Default 17 hh with 2400 powder

Hi there , i have a 17 hh built on a cz527 , the only powder i have at the min is 2400 any got any loads for it pl im currently using 9.3 grains im not sure how far to push it . i shoot red foxes, magpies and greycrows , it really likes the 25 grain hornandy bullets

Last edited by visiter1; 02-12-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Supporting Member

Default slooowww....

Gotta be thinking that's really too slow for the 17AH. I know guys that shoot 2200 and 1680 but nothing that slow. I'm interested as to what kind of speeds that will give you.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM

hi, its not an ah its a hornanady hornet , i have no chrno at the mo I am waiting on one tho , i have over forty foxes shot with it so far but and i counldn count how many crows .i just want to know how far i can push it with the 2400

thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Default 17 HH with 2400

Around 10 grains of 2400 is about or is max. I would say, what is your brass and rifle telling you ? No one can really tell you what is max in your rifle. If this load is shooting well and you are hitting those critters, as you say, then why push ? If you want to go further, I would try 1/2 of a tenth of grain more, very carefully.. Why blow a gun or rupture a case, just to see how far you can push it ? If the load you have now is accurate, then stay safe and sane. Bill K
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17HH vs 17AH

FYI:
The reason chuck mentioned the 17AH in response to your question about the 17HH is that the two are nearly physically and ballistically twins. Any differences can be considered academic for the most part.

For example I got my favorite 17AH load off of Hodgdon’s LD (Load Data) for the 17HH. My velocities are within a few fps of Hodgdon’s noted speeds.
Larry

P.S.
Just in case you arn't familiar Hodgdon’s LD for 25 gr bullets is here. -> http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the advise lads how do i post pictures i can show you some off my results ?Also thanks so much for the advise , its not that i want to push it im just more into seeing how much wiggle room i have with the powder as its all i have for the time being as powder is very hard to get at the min.

I love this gun its so much fun shooting crows with it il , i also own a 6mill br and a remingtion r 15 both i cant shoot at the moment due to illness.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default ????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiter1 View Post
Hi there , i have a 17 hh built on a cz527 , the only powder i have at the min is 2400 any got any loads for it pl im currently using 9.3 grains im not sure how far to push it . i shoot red foxes, magpies and greycrows , it really likes the 25 grain hornandy bullets
I would suggest that you use a blade micrometer to compare a new 17 HH case with one fired at your 9.3 grain load. If the web, just ahead of the extractor groove, is expanding even 0.0003", you had better stick with the load you have. If you plan to use the load in very warm tempertures, compared to that at which you tested it, then you should back off.

I am assuming that you are refering to Aliant 2400 powder. Contrary to what has ben suggested it is much faster than AA 2200 and 1680, at least on all of the burn rate charts I have. In fact it is faster than IMR 4227 and Lil'Gun which Hodgon's Max is 9.3 and 8/9 grains respectivly.

I am also assuming that you are using Hornady 17 HH brass. Loading this brass the same as a 17 AH, which could have more than a grain extra capacity depending on which 22 Hornet brass was used to form the case, is not a wise move. It is pretty hard to to get into trouble using 17 HH loads, as listed in the Hodgdon manual, but could be disasterous the other way around.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanks for that, yea it is hornandy brass i am using , i will try what you have suggested, i am shooting in ireland so hot weather is not really a prob ha ha ha

, thanks for the advise lads.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 EXTREME View Post
I would suggest that you use a blade micrometer to compare a new 17 HH case with one fired at your 9.3 grain load. If the web, just ahead of the extractor groove, is expanding even 0.0003", you had better stick with the load you have. If you plan to use the load in very warm tempertures, compared to that at which you tested it, then you should back off.

I am assuming that you are refering to Aliant 2400 powder. Contrary to what has ben suggested it is much faster than AA 2200 and 1680, at least on all of the burn rate charts I have. In fact it is faster than IMR 4227 and Lil'Gun which Hodgon's Max is 9.3 and 8/9 grains respectivly.

I am also assuming that you are using Hornady 17 HH brass. Loading this brass the same as a 17 AH, which could have more than a grain extra capacity depending on which 22 Hornet brass was used to form the case, is not a wise move. It is pretty hard to to get into trouble using 17 HH loads, as listed in the Hodgdon manual, but could be disasterous the other way around.
+1 on everything said by 20 extreme. 2400 is much faster burning than 1680 or 2200. If you want to edge up your load, do it in .2 grain increments, and monitor your pressure by measuring the case head just ahead of the rim. Make sure you measure your original case head before starting. You should not have more than .0005 case head diameter increase. My CZ loves those 25g. V-Maxs! Soon to try those in Berger. Cheers!