Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Very interesting on the cartridges and the extractor. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Welcome Tony... looking forward to your contributions!

I can vouch for Tony's expertise as a top-notch gunsmith in the 'old fashioned' manner. He did some great work modifying the safeties to a custom flush fit on my two Ruger No 1s in .303 and .450/400 3" as well as correcting a botched job by another "gunsmith" on a Tikka extractor.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 AM

Thanks Daryl and Eagle_view.

Hey there Tilleyman How are things?
How are the No1's shooting ?
Old 08-10-2014, 02:43 AM

Seems like I may have unintentionally made my cartridge slightly bigger than the Javalina.
I was doing some research on QuickLoad, this morning and I measured the Nickal case capacity, as 24g of water. The Javalina data, on QuickLoad, has water capacity as 22.3g of water.
My case is 1.5" long and the Javalina case is 1.535" long.
Javalina has a .218" long neck and 27deg shoulder and is .363" shoulder diameter.
The Nickal case is to the Fireball dimensions, but .090" longer, so has a .366" shoulder dia, 30deg angle and a .205" long neck. Incidently the neck diameter. of the shortened .223 cases ( Winchester ) is .200" and I don't have to neck turn the cases to clear the chamber. Reamer neck diameter is .206". Perfect.

According to QL, I should be getting 3800 odd FPS, with a 20g Varmageddon, driven by 18.5g of BM2 and at only 40,000 PSI.
I'll be happy with that performance.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Default G'day Tony

G'day mate, good to see you posting on here, you just may teach our US cousins a trick or two with your Martinis.

Question, I have been thinking of making a 17/222 to complement my 20/222, both Zastava M85 actions, how do you reckon your new 17 would go in this action ? What did you do for loading dies, make them yourself ? I may have to contact you for a bit of work later on.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post
G'day mate, good to see you posting on here, you just may teach our US cousins a trick or two with your Martinis.

Question, I have been thinking of making a 17/222 to complement my 20/222, both Zastava M85 actions, how do you reckon your new 17 would go in this action ? What did you do for loading dies, make them yourself ? I may have to contact you for a bit of work later on.
G'day Camel
Is that short for camel jockey???

It would go well in your rifle, but I think that a straight 17-222 would be far easier to make. Dies are easy as well.
I'm going to use 17 Fireball dies, for reloading my 17, but forming them took a lot of steps. I'm going to make some proper forming dies for the rest of the cases. Had too many failures, from just trying to size the neck down, without supporting the case body.
Seems I like doing things the hard way, but without blokes like me, we wouldn't have any new cartridges to play with, eh.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM

G'day Tony

You are right it is probably better to go the 17/222 direction, only really need to change out the bush for my Redding neck die that way I can use the same die for both. Body die will do both as well

I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to have only the second 17 Nickal ever made.

And Camel is a name I got from my ex missus, she reckons I was only good for one hump. Also a bastardisation of my middle name from when I was in the navy.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM

Chamomile??

Glenn
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post
G'day Tony

You are right it is probably better to go the 17/222 direction, only really need to change out the bush for my Redding neck die that way I can use the same die for both. Body die will do both as well

I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to have only the second 17 Nickal ever made.

And Camel is a name I got from my ex missus, she reckons I was only good for one hump. Also a bastardisation of my middle name from when I was in the navy.
I'd be happy to fix you up with a 17 Nickal, if you want

Hehe. Camomile. That's a good one.

I'm planning on shooting some through the Chrony tomorrow and see just how fast they are going.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks Glenn, you are a real champ. NOT Its really Cammille, but I didn't order it when I was born.

Tony I will do some thinking on your little wildcat and let you know, thanks.