Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-10-2014, 04:51 AM

Cool 20-357Mag

A while ago, a friend of mine, gave me some 20-357Mag cases, that he had bought at a local gun show.
I've been doing a search and can't find anything online about it.
Does it exist? Has someone done it before? I'd be VERY surprised if it hadn't been done, everything else has

I have a nice Low wall Winchester, that I was going to re-barrel in 218 Bee, but this cartridge is begging for a rifle to shoot it in. Can't you hear it calling to me??
Old 08-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Supporting Member

Tony a few years ago there was a cartridge shown in the letters section of Small Caliber News, it was a 22 cal based on the 357 mag case.
Apparently the chamber was cut using a 223AI reamer run in short, no details were given on the case ie OAL.

I liked the case and would assume someone has done one in 20 cal as well, but I have a barrel here that is .224 and a 223AI reamer plus a Martini action that has already been modified for the 357Mag case.

The 20cal version would be rather nice in a LoWall, and 357 cases are easier and cheaper to find than 218 Bee cases.
Saying that I am going to build a 17Ackley Bee on a Martini as I have a set of dies a reamer and a Martini action.......Kiwi
Old 08-10-2014, 05:50 AM

I don't have a 20/357mag, but I do have two rifles chambered for 20/357max. It has about the same case capacity as a 20 tac. Both are chambered on single shot actions. The max case is a hard to find right now, and you have to be careful when necking them down, but its a fun little cartridge to play with.

Bob
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Tony a few years ago there was a cartridge shown in the letters section of Small Caliber News, it was a 22 cal based on the 357 mag case.
Apparently the chamber was cut using a 223AI reamer run in short, no details were given on the case ie OAL.

I liked the case and would assume someone has done one in 20 cal as well, but I have a barrel here that is .224 and a 223AI reamer plus a Martini action that has already been modified for the 357Mag case.

The 20cal version would be rather nice in a LoWall, and 357 cases are easier and cheaper to find than 218 Bee cases.
Saying that I am going to build a 17Ackley Bee on a Martini as I have a set of dies a reamer and a Martini action.......Kiwi
Thanks for that Kiwi. That 17 AkB will be a good shooter.
About 1993, I saw a bloke using a M92 Winchester Lever gun, in a competition shoot, that was chambered in the 22-357. It was really neat and worked well on that platform.
I'm going to do some measurements to see what reamer I will need to use for this one.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post
I don't have a 20/357mag, but I do have two rifles chambered for 20/357max. It has about the same case capacity as a 20 tac. Both are chambered on single shot actions. The max case is a hard to find right now, and you have to be careful when necking them down, but its a fun little cartridge to play with.

Bob
Thanks Bob,
357 Max and 218 Bee cases are about as common as rokin' horse droppings around here
I will be going with the standard 357 Mag case, as it is very common.

What reamer was used for your 20-357 Max?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Default 20 Jet

I am very interested in this post! I have a Martini model #12 all ready to go for this cartridge. Vick Samuel has prepared my action by converting it to center-fire, squared the action face, and fitted a extractor for the 38/357 case.

I have Dick Saunders' book/s, he did much work with the 357/22 Jet in 17 caliber.

So, I too need to find a 20 caliber chamber reamer for what I would call a 20 357 or 22 Jet Improved. Saunders sent me some 17 357 fire formed empties that look quiet wicked, nice straight side wall, 32 degree sharp shoulder, and he had another chambering with a 40 degree shoulder.

I have much new 22 Jet brass purchased long ago that I will attempt to use. It is an easy step from 22 Jet down to 20 357. I know annealing should be done after forming and before firing.

What I need is exactly what you are looking for -- a 20 caliber reamer that cuts a 20 357 chamber. So if/when we find one I'll share with you and I would ask you do the same.

John
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Supporting Member

IMO the 20 jet should be fun and maybe case loss during forming less than the 17. But I still much prefer the 357 max or 357 dw brass and a tad more case capacity with a longer neck. Mine is actually a 17 jet run in deep. Shot way better than I expected. I still have 10 unopened bags of 357 max last time it was on sale at cabelas (despite the terrible brass REM put out that run)
good luck, hope to read more about it, I have a thing for rimmed cases 😎
Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 AM

Just checked starline's site. They have 360 DW brass in stock. Its a bit shorter than 357max brass but should be the same diameter.

Aaron
Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Supporting Member

Yes I have some of the dw brass (thanks to Ray) and it works good for the jet. I use the longer max brass for the rimmed 17 Mach IV and 17 WS.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Some years ago among my .17 cal collection was one Paul Rogers sent me.
All those nearly 40 cases, a couple new reamers and much other stuff that I'd had sitting on the dining table hasn't been found. Am hoping it's all been dumped into one of the boxes Rick stacked in the shop corner that I haven't been able to get into yet.

Quite a case that one: .17/.357

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"