Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the info lads
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM

The .204 didn't exist yet when Dan invented the Predator and I had mine built.

I'm not sure which way I'd go if starting over today.

There's no question the .17-204 is the easier path for the novice as dies can be used off the shelf with just a change of bushing. Making it easier and cheaper, for most. So that is what I've recommended to most of the guys that have asked.

But, that said, I'm still not so sure I wouldn't do the Predator again today. One factor leading me that direction being the brass. The IMI that I have on hand is a known quantity - I.E. superb. I also have some of the "new" Lapua .223 that is almost as good as the IMI (not the "old" Lapua .223 which was cat crap...). I have never worked with .204 brass of any kind, but have never really heard about any of it being truly superior stuff, just mostly hear that some of it is good enough. No first hand knowledge of it though.

My wildcat projects have all started with brass and bullets, then build the rifle around them. Brass matters, to me.

So... I dunno... Can't go wrong either way I guess? Just have your ducks lined up as far as brass and dies and the associated costs when choosing, it could sway you one way or the other.

- DAA
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM

If you run the standard 17-223 do you just use a 17-223 die to neck down 223. Or do you have to neck down in steps with a bushing die? I'm all for simplicity and using virgin llc brass and cheap z max 17 bullets in an ar15 platform sounds interesting to me.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Lightbulb 260ackley......

If you don't have the forming dies, just carefully use the 17-223 Seating die as the first forming operation. Then, final size with the full-length die.

Kevin
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
If you run the standard 17-223 do you just use a 17-223 die to neck down 223. Or do you have to neck down in steps with a bushing die? I'm all for simplicity and using virgin llc brass and cheap z max 17 bullets in an ar15 platform sounds interesting to me.
223 bushing die with a 17 cal bushing will do it. You could throw a .20 cal bushing in as an intermediary step. Same set up as a 20 practical. Also a great cartridge for the AR platform.
I am running an ar15 in 17 rem because it was an easy barrel to come by. But I think if I had to do it again I would go with the 17/223 for that platform. AR's are tough on brass and it hurts to see your 17 rem brass get chewed up. Especially when you can't find any more brass new. But forming 17/223 with LC brass would be easy and cheap and I wouldn't cry if I lost some brass here and there. As for now I am dedicating a certain lot of brass to the ar so I don't trash every piece of 17 rem brass I own.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 AM

For the .17 Predator also give VV-550 a try with 30 gr bullets. My load is 26.5 of VV-550 with the good Berger 30gr HP bullets. Would instantly build another one as I believe it to be the ultimate coyote gun; lethal killer at long range and fur friendly at close range.