Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Default ND PDs

Nice pics.
Have seen pd parts and pieces hung on a barb wire fence before. That one was with a 220s. It's special.
You mentioned possibly trying a 20 VT, I have two and really like them.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Silverfox,
Something I have been meaning to ask you about your suppressors. I don't know how many that you have, but I assume not many, unless your property had all that ND oil under it!!
When you change a suppressor from rifle to rifle, do you have to sight it in again? Would it not be like a barrel harmonic dampener (Boss) where point of impact would change on a different barrel? Maybe I'll still have time in my life to get one but just wondering about getting 1 and using it on many rifles.
Always enjoy your pictures and stories.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Supporting Member

George—I’ve never had the muzzle of my rifle only 20" from a prairie dog when I pulled the trigger and I don’t think I’d like the splatter!!

I have hit fence wires and broken a couple of those wires. I usually try to find some wire and repair the fence before leaving the PD town.

I’m glad you ejoyed the write-up

Df06—fill me in on the details about your two 20 VTs via a PM or e-mail to willhigh (at) nemont (dot) net.

Joe McNeill—I only have 3 suppressors. I believe you are correct in assuming they change the harmonics of your barrel and thus change the point of impact in most cases. I haven’t toyed with seeing where my rifles shoot with the suppressor on and then seeing where they hit without them. That would be a waste of ammo IMHO. Once you get your rifle sighted in with the suppressor on the end you should be able to remove the suppressor and when you put it back on, you should not have to sight that rifle in again. Just sight in each rifle with the suppressor on the end and you should be able to move the suppressor from rifle to rifle and not have to sight them in again unless some other change has been made in your ammo.

I sighted in my tight necked .17 Remington using the Gemtech TREK-Ti with my reloads for the 25 gr. FBHP T-000 Nagel bullets and then at a later date on a trip to the range I absentmindedly placed the Lane Scorpion 556 silencer on it. I couldn’t believe that the bullets were hitting over an inch left of POA and about a half inch low. I adjusted the scope accordingly and shot some more shots. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I had the wrong suppressor on the rifle and screwed up my scope settings. I put the correct suppressor on and went through the sighting in process all over again.

I have eight varmint rifles. I use my AAC Ranger II suppressor on two of those rifles—the Tikka Master Sporter in .22-250 and one of my Savage 12VLP rifles with a Douglas barrel. The Gemtech Trek-Ti suppressor is used on my tight neck .17 Remington, on my .204 Ruger with the BLACKNITRIDE™ treated barrel, on my .204 Ruger with the Savage Target Action, and on my .17 Remington 700 BDL with a barrel treated with melonite. My third suppressor is a Lane Scorpion 556 and that one is used on my .17 Remington built on a Stiller Predator action, and also on my Remington 700 ADL in .17 Tactical caliber.

If you have many different calibers you want to suppress and only want to use one suppressor, you can get by with buying one that works with your largest caliber. All my suppressors are supposedly good for use on .224 caliber rifles and on down. However, the papers from the Gemtech factory discourage use of that suppressor on .224 caliber rifles. If you purchase and use a suppressor make sure you have it on tight. Also, if you are shooting lots of shots through it during your session, check to make sure that it is still tight as the day wears on. You definitely don't want to take a chance on a bullet striking the inside of the suppressor and you will most likely notice a drop in accuracy if the suppressor is loose.

I have read comments on some of the boards that a suppressor for a .30 caliber rifle may do a better job of suppressing the sound of your shot from a smaller caliber rifle than one made specifically for that caliber. I can't say whether that is true or not, so take it with a grain of salt.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-16-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Supporting Member

Hey, Leroy , another great write up, sorry about the weather, just a reminder of how it will be in another couple of months. A little clarification on the trek/ti. When I talked to them, they told me that it was made for the 223 cartridge and smaller, but didn't recommend it for 22/250 or bigger. Apparently too much gas produced by the bigger cases and efficiency falls off. They didn't allude to any safety factor. I will tell you that the trek works really well on my 17 hornet. Keep up the good work, Tom.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Thanks for...

...another fantastic post, LeRoy! Thanks as always for sharing your experiences!!

Don
Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

pwdrbrn--Glad you liked the little story.

When I read they didn't recommend using the TREK-Ti with my .22-250 I followed their advice. That suppressor is too expensive to take a chance on ruining it. It works great on my .204 Ruger and .17 Remingtons. My AAC Ranger II works just fine on my .22-250.

thekriebles--It is good to hear you enjoyed the little write-up. Thanks for letting me know.

NRA Life Member