Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Supporting Member

Very nice wood. But why CZ puts that fugly bent channel iron trigger guard on those rifles is beyond me.

I'm not sure what calibers these are available in, but if you want to spiff the rifle up completely, here are a couple of options. Not sure if they make them to fit the 17 HMR magazine cut out, but a phone call to either vendor might shed more light.

I bought a DIP tear drop shaped trigger guard for a 17M2 rifle that I own and it made it look like a complete rifle. The tear drop shape is similar to a Sako trigger guard.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail....56589&CAT=3600

https://picclick.com/CZ-452-American...881413065.html

This second link is from Coal Creek Products. If you Google around, there might be other vendors as a trigger guard replacement is a commonly asked question about the CZ rim fire rifles.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-17-2018 at 11:42 PM. Reason: wrong link...........
Old 03-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

Great find Al, looks like the twin stock to he one on my LH 22RF CZ. If have 2 of the CZ 17 HMRs in LH and both shoot just great. In fact, between the CZs and the Annie I have in LH 17 HMR I prefer the CZs. None of my 17 HMRs have nice wood though, just the plain straight grain stuff you usually see. They do last well however. I sold one CZ with 30,000 rounds through it (NOT a typo) and it still shot under an inch at 100 yards for 5 shots. I do like a 6x20 or 24 power scope on the 17 HMR and have found the Zeiss to be a good match for them.

I have tried different ammo in the CZs and have not found them to be very ammo sensitive. I shoot mostly Federal 17 grain TNT because I got a great deal on a large supply of it. They work good one everything fro gophers to yotes. That said, on a yote or badger the 17 HMR is on the light side. Guy wants to make sure he gets a clean head shot for best results.

Hope you enjoy yours
Old 03-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Good looking rifle!

I knocked the dust off mine last weekend. Shot great!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Yes, head shots are a must as distance increases. Myself and hunting buddies shoot golf balls at 200 yds for practice. The three of us have all hit 4 in a row @ 200 yds, so hitting a GH in the head at 200 is not all that hard. Here in the east we don't have the wind to contend with like guys out west do, and that makes a big difference.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Looks like you hit the stock lottery on that one, what a beauty!...
Matt
I couldn't agree more with Matt on your stock fortune. I've had a few CZs, but never had a stock even remotely close to that one!!

Congrats on your gorgeous new addition!!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Supporting Member

I really like the PST line, although mine are 6.5-24x for up-close imaging, but if like mine the power rings are a stiff as can be. I guess I need throw levers.

Allen
Old 03-17-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
I really like the PST line, although mine are 6.5-24x for up-close imaging, but if like mine the power rings are a stiff as can be. I guess I need throw levers.

Allen
I had 2 of these VORTEX FFP 1-1/2-10 PST, both required an effort to rotate the power ring. VORTEX Canada provided me with a shipping label and both were sent to them for improvement under warranty. VORTEX said that they change the grease which improves the rotation resistance. When I got them back - one was super nice and easy to rotate while the other was still stiff... so I sold that one.

I've been into Cabelas and handled various VORTEX scopes and they are all stiff to rotate. I dont know why VORTEX doesn't catch this problem in their quality control section.

At the end of the day ..I like the VORTEX very much, good glass, big target turrets with big easy-to-read-digits. Plus, warranty depot in this country with pretty good service.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
Yes, head shots are a must as distance increases. Myself and hunting buddies shoot golf balls at 200 yds for practice. The three of us have all hit 4 in a row @ 200 yds, so hitting a GH in the head at 200 is not all that hard. Here in the east we don't have the wind to contend with like guys out west do, and that makes a big difference.
These CCI 20gr. GamePoints are hard hitting with excellent penetration and retention.
I did a bullet test last year on wet phone books and the penetration was 5 inches.
Crows have tough outside feathers and it takes energy to penetrate.

Last edited by AlbertaAl; 03-17-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Banned

Default Cz hmr

I think the xtp an game points are the same bullet. Great all around bullet for the hmr! Try the 17gr TNT on a crow or 2 I think you'll like them!