Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Since several people seem to think the rifle should stay at what ever it is, I think it is a wise choice to offer it for sale. That way everyone wins. Sounds to me like several of these guys are or were ready to make you an offer.

Sure understand not having your reloading gear set up. You will know more about the rifle than you did when you bought it and that should be worth something.

You came seeking knowledge and what you got was opinion. This is a good bunch with a lot of knowledge about all kinds of small caliber cartridges. No doubt that some here are also experts on several types of firearms. It is not a bad place to hang out and I hope that you will over look the opinions, add your knowledge to the group, let us know what the rifle proves to be.

Have a great day

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Supporting Member

Allan, the way I read this is that you bought the rifle to pull apart and build something else (post#35) and you want it chambered in a cartridge you don't have to reload for.

You already know that there were only 10 imported/built and that you have one of them, which is chambered in a .17 caliber of some sort.

You made the post to see if anyone had any info about the rifle, it doesn't seem like anyone has any more info then what you already know, in reality I'd say you know more than anyone on here about the rifle.

As most rifles go, especially those that are rare, (and I would consider a total of 10 rare) they have a greater value when still in original state. But from your posts I take it that this value doesn't come into the decision making.

So to my way of thinking, since you are so keen to modify the rifle to a factory chambering so you can use it and you already have some 17 Rem ammunition, does the 17 Remington ammo fit in the magazine?

If the ammo fits in the magazine get a chamber cast done to see if the chamber will clean up to fit the 17 Rem. Any other factory chambering (17 Fireball) as you have said is too short.

If the chamber won't clean up for the 17 Rem, then the only option, given the rifle appears to be a full length stock, is to get another barrel and have it profiled to fit the stock and have it chambered in the factory caliber of your choice.

It is your choice what you do with it, but I also see the value of the opinions that some others on this forum have, that being so rare it would be a shame to irreversibly alter it and lose it's originality and collectors value, and lets face it, being so rare it does have a collectors value. You could possibly sell it and go and buy two, or more, new rifles for what you could get for this one.

I wouldn't get offended by peoples opinions about the rifle, while you may not have asked for the opinions, people were going to give it anyway given that you posted the info about such a rare rifle.

As I said it is your choice what you do with it, and I agree with Eagle View, this board is a great place to hang out

Do you still have the link to the auction you referred to for the other rifle, it would be interesting to see the photos of it and the final auction price...…………………...Kiwi
Old 01-04-2019, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

It's never been my goal to run anyone off this board or anywhere else.
Now and then my opinions do p people off. WTH, just say so, don't quit the board over it.

I sure hope this alan fellow will come back, even just to read what's
posted since he quit.

I just can't imagine anyone having a "one in ten" rifle even considering
altering it, let alone rechamber just to have something to shoot "Factory
ammo" of all things!

Sounds like several of the rest here agree with me.

I felt bad after I'd cut up my one and only original 1917 Enfield, and it was
one of at least 800,000. The other four I have were already butchered so
I feel good about remaking them into decent usable rifles.
Back when I bought the first one they sold for $15 filled with cosmoline
and wrapped in grease paper. 1958 if you want to know.

Best wishes to everyone, especially alan.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 01-05-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Supporting Member

Default The rifle

It's really a moot point. He asked a question and already had the answer.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
It's really a moot point. He asked a question and already had the answer.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No harm, George.......

In the process that evolved, no one called anyone an idiot or anything near that scenario. That is a reach on the part of the OP....... The internet is full of opinions.......it is what it is. Facts are harder to sort out at times because even facts are disbelieved by others at times when they already have their own "facts" in place prior to asking a question.

I find it peculiar that someone will open themselves up to opinions on a topic and then get hurt when everyone doesn't agree with their already held opinion. There is no problem with vigorously defending an opinion, especially when its backed up with facts from actual experience. But seeing that happens bothers some people at times.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

thank you for all your answers and comments. I asked for information not opinions, I was told that this forum had a wealth of small caliber info on it and i believe there is. Being told that I have a screw loose, and speculation on what i should do with this was not what I was here for.

Is this rifle rare? no one can tell me.The gun is only worth what someone will pay for it! is it worth more to me as a shooter in a caliber that I do not have to reload right now, probably. This is my first and only 17 right now. the chamber cast is being done, the barrel was slugged..

Like I said in ALL my previous posts depending on what the outcome of the chamber cast will determine what I do, when I purchased this my full intentention was to take it apart and build something else, simply because there is no information on this gun. That's how I ended up here.
Has that changed, somewhat, rare, not rare, who know's its a nice little rifle with a neat configuration for an action.

once again thank you for your opinions
Old 01-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Default In search of some info on this rifle

Alan. I am sorry how it appears some had to made you feel uncomfortable, and used some of wording they did, seems more common now days with so many leaning towards the political correct terms and actions.
The vast majority on this site will always give positive and helpful information to a question. Let some, that show up, with answers your are not after just roll off like water on a ducks back.
In the meantime I and I am sure some others are interested in what your smith finds out, when you get the reports back on the chamber case and all.
Please let us know as it will be interesting to learn what the maker of that firearm did chamber it for.
Then also keep us posted as to your progress and the final outcome of what you do with it. If you want a 17 Rem, that go for it and enjoy.
And remember we also like photo's for firearms, projects and critters taken. Bill K
Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 AM

chamber cast came back 17 javelina
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 AM

Sometimes you gotta think like the black knight on the Monte Python skit on forums. Being gracious is an art form; especially in the written word.

The 17 Javelina is some case. An old wildcat by the A&M boys. I suspect Kevin G. could bend your ear on its attributes, might not for everyone; but has a nice history to it and fair performance.

I have always held the 17 remington can do anything I need to do. I have a couple myself, one is a No.1 fwiw, the other is a bolt gun. With that said, that never stopped me from the oddities as a passion...........why one earth did I build a 17 bumble bee on a nice grade No.1?................. a gun guy never knows really why, so why worry about the little things.

Neat rifle by the way, the double sets always take me away.......... ...........the rifle in whatever chambering it becomes has a lot going for it.

Last edited by rick w.; 01-05-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:20 AM

No rechambering here going on the sale block