Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 AM

I’ve decided that I am going to rid the cupboard of Berger Bullets as I go forward. I’ve been disappointed by losing the 50s and now the 55s as well as the 30 and 25 17s.

I’ve had quite a bit of trouble at times finding some of their more common bullets as well. I guess it’s personal preference but I believe there are plenty of other fish in the pond when it comes to bullet manufacturers.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Two things I would like Berger to do is to announce products that they plan to discontinue several months in advance to allow shooters the opportunity to stockpile their chosen bullets. The second is for Berger to make limited runs of some of these bullets as they have the opportunity to work them into production - the way some brass producers do with low volume cartridge brass.
+1 on that.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Did a little research and came up with a list of companies that have discontinued bullets. All had the same story, niche markets, poor performance or not enough demand to be profitable. Economics 101.

Sierra
Hornady
Speer
Nosler
Berger
Barnes
Swift
Old 02-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Default I stopped buying Berger stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Did a little research and came up with a list of companies that have discontinued bullets. All had the same story, niche markets, poor performance or not enough demand to be profitable. Economics 101.

Sierra
Hornady
Speer
Nosler
Berger
Barnes
Swift
Thanks for the time taken to find that information Hog Patrol. Looks like a fair number of those complaining about Berger, will not be doing a lot of shooting this year and not buying other companies bullets/products either, from how they react to Berber not putting out all the bullets they like.
I think I will just keep plugging along in my old age and enjoy shooting 3-4 times a week on varmints, no matter what bullet I must find, work up a load and shoot them with. Now watch me become the target.. Bill K
Old 02-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Stock holders

Quote:
I am amazed at the failure of people to understand how business works! An investor buys stock in a business looking to maximize the value of that investment. This, quite simply, is the company’s goal. If they can make all of their customers happy in accomplishing their goal, everyone is happy. If production capacity must be diverted from low volume products to higher volume products to accomplish their charter then that is what their owners expect and demand. Small caliber shooters are very small fish in a very large pond. It seems very simple and straightforward...

I really miss several of the bullets Berger used to make but I am not personally offended by rational business decisions. We have people criticizing Ford and GM for “abandoning” the sedan market but can we really expect the auto makers to continue production of vehicles that have become very slow selling.

Two things I would like Berger to do is to announce products that they plan to discontinue several months in advance to allow shooters the opportunity to stockpile their chosen bullets. The second is for Berger to make limited runs of some of these bullets as they have the opportunity to work them into production - the way some brass producers do with low volume cartridge brass.
I have a good deal for anyone wanting some Kraft-Hines stock. Have to find a new Ketchup supplier.
Tongue in cheek.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member

Economic reality is obviously a hard thing for some folks to accept. And it's hard for me to fault a company for not producing something that doesn't sell even though it is something that I might like. Surely the Board of Directors would recognize that making some people unhappy is a valid reason to continue producing economic losers..........

We here at Saubier are and always have been a VERY SMALL demand market, and we will continue to be so in the future. If you must have something that you need for a special project, "plan ahead" for your needs and maybe the company producing what you are buying will keep producing it. Maybe not. In a small demand market, planning is a key for both producers and buyers...........

Its a simple equation. If what someone produces sits on vendor shelves, the vendor quits buying it, and at some point the company quits producing it. Or as Hog Patrol stated, its Economic 101 in action, and in the large picture, capitalism has never been worried about personal integrity. But its still a better plan than other economic plans or possibilities that would have us all shooting the same thing if we wanted to participate.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-22-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I am amazed at the failure of people to understand how business works! An investor buys stock in a business looking to maximize the value of that investment. This, quite simply, is the company’s goal. If they can make all of their customers happy in accomplishing their goal, everyone is happy. If production capacity must be diverted from low volume products to higher volume products to accomplish their charter then that is what their owners expect and demand. Small caliber shooters are very small fish in a very large pond. It seems very simple and straightforward...

I really miss several of the bullets Berger used to make but I am not personally offended by rational business decisions. We have people criticizing Ford and GM for “abandoning” the sedan market but can we really expect the auto makers to continue production of vehicles that have become very slow selling.

Gary, I think most people understand the basic premise of how businesses work. Berger is no different than my business. If I have a product that does not move and I can put inventory dollars against faster moving products, it is common sense where I am going to put my money.

The frustration comes when we work up loads specifically around a bullet and then out of the blue can't get that bullet any more. You probably know as well as anyone how much time that takes and quite frankly, I don't want to change bullets in my 17 Remington. Luckily, I have enough Hornady 25 gr HP's that I won't need any for quite some time and if I see any in my travels I will pick them up.

There is no doubt in my mind that the small, niche manufacturers will probably pick these up and start manufacturing them in the near future.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
........... I don't want to change bullets in my 17 Remington. Luckily, I have enough Hornady 25 gr HP's that I won't need any for quite some time and if I see any in my travels I will pick them up.

That is exactly what I mean by "plan ahead".

And in reality, many folks place themselves and their importance higher than economic reality, and only a few truly understand economic reality from the producer's point of view. And then they feel personally slighted when things go south.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-22-2019, 02:52 PM

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Where we can sit on our computers and talk with our friends from afar. Amazing really, and how cool it is.
I've got no problem that people are complaining about their favorite bullets being discontinued....I'd complain in that case too.
As far as "how companies are run".........customer service is lost these days.
Berger could learn a thing or two.

If they wen't about this the "right way", they would have forecasted these potential or eminent bullet discontinuations to their customers(you know, their lifeblood). This would have helped soften the blow to those effected. Obviously they have to make money, but making customers happy is the biggest part of that equation.
By doing so Berger would have controlled the narrative. It's not like they didn't know a year ago that their sales sucked on certain niche bullets. They have had a list to discontinue for many months at the least. NO WAY AROUND IT.

Instead of people saying "I can't believe Berger discontinued my favorite bullets, those cotton headed ninny muggins"......................
They would be saying "I can't believe Berger is going to discontinue my favorite bullets in February of 2019, I better stock up now, hey atleast they had the foresight to give us a heads up"

It's called customer service and damage control.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-22-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:44 PM

I just did alittle inventory on my 17 caliber “Coyote Fur bullets” and I think I’m alittle better off than I realized. I probably have enough fur bullets to last me 15+ years.....Hopefully by then somebody out there will fill the niche.......Or I’ll be to old to hunt that much anymore. lol

Good Hunting Chad

100- loaded 30 grain Kindler Golds

Bullets Remaining
400- Berger 25 grain Match hollowpoints
300- Kindler 30 grain Golds hollowpoints
400- Kindler 27 grain Golds hollowpoints
100- Genco 26 grain Rbbt hollowpoints
200- Reeds 25 grain VLD hollowpoints