Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-19-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintshooter View Post
In my opinion you run a 221 thru a 20 vt die load and shoot. Its not like you need to waste time fire forming brass it just happens. I can't tell the difference between the forming shot and those already formed. I like to think that the 30* shoulder helps to keep the brass from stretching.
That is the main point, for sure. A slight gain in FPS is just a small addition to the VT over what would have been a 20 VT with just no shoulder change.
Either way it is one fine cartridge in both accuracy and striking ability. Bill K
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 PM

“If it’s not AR ready it isn’t very interesting to them”

Good point. Many good points actually.

At my club I can’t remember ever seeing another small caliber enthusiast, or a non-AR small caliber center fire rifle for that matter.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 PM

What's the advantage of a 30* shoulder in a 20 VT versus a 23* shoulder in the 20 FB?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:09 PM

Something like 1/2 grain case capacity?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 PM

[quote=jimreed1948;281745]What's the advantage of a 30* shoulder in a 20 VT versus a 23* shoulder in the 20 FB?[/QUOTE

Depending on powder used, around one to 1.5 grains more and 100 or so fps. Main advantage is better brass life and less trimming in length growth. Bill K
Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 AM
Supporting Member

You change the shoulder angle, add another 1.5 grains of powder, (depending on brand) gain another 100 FPS and the next thing you know, the primers won't stay in their pockets. From what I've heard over the years, that's the problem with the RP Fireball brass. I have never had that issue cause I load mid range loads and ALWAYS leave myself a little "wiggle room".
I like the idea of one pass thru the die down to 20, load and go shooting.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 AM

Did you all take a look at the quality brass offered by Lapua?

https://www.lapua.com/cases/221-remington-fireball/

I think that given the problem with RP primer pockets, we would switch to Lapua if the drive wasnto kick up the velocity an extra bit.

I know that Lapua is spendy, but so is most of shooting, and cases that last over 15 firings might just be worth the extra scratch since they are probably super uniform in dimensions etc.

Just my 2c.

I do have a bunch of the old .221 formed to .17MIV, and a bag or two of the .17FB. I have had a few RP cases with very soft case heads that made me rethink shooting the RP cases altogether. Hopefully Nosler would do better than RP, but that's a moot point if they won't make them.

Try Lapua is what I am saying. What Lapua costs in cash it probably saves you in quality and long case life.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Default I am very happy to be a reloader:)

Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think about the fact that Lapua brass is available in .221 FB.I remember when Todd Kindler and I had a conversation about the thought of 221 brass from Lapua and truly never really imagined it would become a reality. I am ok with rolling my own,I just think the big guys are missing the boat.It certainly is their choice,I will be very happy to make more of my own,every time I order Lapua brass I always add a few extra boxes of 221
Matt
Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20x221

I made the easy choice of going with the 20x222. Simple neck down and go. H4198 and Sierra BKs give Eastern ground hogs and New Mexico prairie dogs a fit.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM

There are some good choices surrounding the 20 VT cartridge, shoulder angle and all. Choose one of them, that you like and want to work with, then work up a accurate and safe load and enjoy.
Not one thing wrong with the standard 20 VT, but if you want a improved one, then do so. You will not be unhappy with the one you choose and shoot. Nosler, Lapua and brass formed from 223 or 222 is easy to do and obtain, for those of us that want to shoot this cartridge/caliber. Too many make it into more work than necessary. Bill K