Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM

Default Sav.99 219 donaldson wasp

Do my own barrel and chamber work,had a savage 99 303 sav.Takedown rifle and a takeoff .224 barrel from a friend just seemed natural.The 30-30 based cases feed fine from the rotary magazene.Been a wile since I've fired it but it was quite accurate.Bit of a hassel making the cases without forming dies but they seem to last forever if not loaded too hot. Frank C.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Supporting Member

Never thought of a 219 99, don't see why it wouldn't work. Here at Saubier we need pics as we can't reed wL. adam
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Supporting Member

Frank i'm a big fan of the sav 99. I wonder if a 219 zipper might not have been a better choice. You loose a bit of velocity, and it would be easier to run the the 22 h.p case to size. Also it would feed without difficulty

Johno
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Default 219 d

Johno,your probibly right but I had the Donaldson reamer.I have three 99's A model "T" 300 sav.,the old 303,and A later 99 I rebarreled to 358W.I've always found accuracy with a 99 is comparible to most bolt guns.The 358 has a cut rifled barrel of local manufacture and will put groups of RCBS 200gr cast in around an inch at 100yds.They are a classic. Frank C.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Supporting Member

Ooooooh Frank, why on earth would you want a crumy old T, best thing you could do with that is stick a stamp on it and send it down under. Hands across the water mate, just love to help out

That would be a good reason to go with the 219 d, they sure get yoi in those 99s. Montdoug here has a 99F in 358win also, treasures that rifle as it belonged to a friend of his who has passed on. I have 6 99s, a couple of nice solid frame 22 hi powers which i believe are scarce over there. Currently trying to get my 300sav to feed the last round, it comes up at the wrong angle for some reason, thinking maybe the cartridge guide is bent, but I don't know how you could bent one of them. Strong piece

How about a photo of that T, does it have the correct rear sight?

Johno
Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Default model "T"

Johno thats real neighborly of you mate offering to take that cruddy old "T".I bought it from a neighbor when I was a kid bout 50 years ago for $40.00 with a nice leather case and two boxes of ammo.There were six rounds missing from one box thats all he fired it.I still have the rear sight but mounted a reciever sight for hunting.Its still as fine as frogs hairs. Frank C.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
Supporting Member

Ok Frank, how do you feel about putting Australia/U.S. relaitions back into the dark ages. I will play your game $42.00 and thats my final offer

Really mate what a great pickup, ive never seen one in the flesh. Been collecting here for many years, I don't think the Ts ever made down here. I think maybe due to that short 5 years of manufacture just prior to the war. Love to see a pic of it, can I pmm you my email address and have you send a couple?

Its strange what happens when you hear about something scarce. I thought I was plugged into every gun shop here that had 99s cross the counter. Then I get an email from a bloke asking the best way to convert this 99, in 243 to 250 savage. He also wanted to put a monty carlo type stock on it. He sent a couple of pictures and it was a 99R in 243, probably the rarest of all the Rs. Please don't alter this rifle I said. I will swap you a 250 and cash, lets work something out. He comes back and tells me know he would sooner build on this action. I could'nt believe it, explained the rifle was to good to wreck out. Just would not deal on anything I offered including an unfired 308 99A saddle gun. I don't think there is one person on this forum who go out and wreck a highly collectable firearm when other options were available. Loord I wish I had'nt brought this up, makes sick every time I think about it

Johno
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Default 99's

Artie Savage spent some time down under,married a shela if I recall.99's are quite common up here in the northeast US,I have driven past the old Savage plant many times.Shame their out of production but they required handwork and fitting and thats a no no in todays world.Collectors are snapping up the uncommon models here but the common garden varity 99" are available from 350 to 550.I've had many apart and their beautifull in their simplicity.Not much on pictures on the puter never done it mayby if my daughter is over. Frank C.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Supporting Member

Yeah we looked after old Arthur, taught him everything he knew 99s probably an aussie invention
Frank i'll pm you my eamil address, appreciate if your daughter could send a couple of pics if she has time

John