Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 AM

Default Forming 17 bee brass

Dang,its been a long time since I've formed 17 ak bee brass and I done forgot how I did it.I crumpled the sholders on five new bee cases trying.I know I never had the expensive forming dies just the regular die set and a homemade die to reduce the neck to 20 cal first,I must have forgot a step.Lubed with imperial die wax.Please share your methods,thanks. Frank C.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM

My RCBS sets for the 17 A&M Bee and 17 Bumble Bee have several dies in the form sets. I have crushed my share of cases getting used to things, but kinda getting along ok now. The Bumble Bee was a trip at first; but as in most things, getting over the hump allows pure enjoyment.

My RCBS sets have at least three form type dies, each of which reduces the diameter of the neck and pushes the shoulder back. The last die is an inside neck reaming die that takes a #17 straight reamer. Just the way they were set up. I suspect that one could also expand up slightly and outside neck turn, as you know I am sure, lots of ways to do these things.

I am still inside neck reaming, and the cartridge loaded up is about 0.002" under my chamber reamer's cutting. So far has worked ok, but will probably try outside neck turning when I can afford a K&N arbor set for the 17 cal.

I found my dies on Ebay years ago, at an ok price, but if I had to do it over, I would either make up or purchase a bushing die made for generic type forming. The benchresters have been such for years, not overly hard to make up, but somewhat laborious in the polishing. Some harden, some don't; guess depends upon your own requirements. If one hardens, always the chance for loss thru warpage.

I suspect that you just forgot a step with your own method. Did you run the cases thru the 218 bee sizing die first just to iron out the little humps etc on new brass? I tend to use a champher on the outside of the neck, to help slip into the dies.

Sometimes the coin of the brass changes over the years or various lots of loose brass. We can get away with things, that later we find we cannot because the raw material characteristics changed a little. Of course, polishing up the various dies, cannot hurt.

I am sure all above is old hat to you, you will get back into the groove with a little pondering. There has been quite a bit on forming on this site, you might try the search function if you have the notion.

Stick in the movie was Speedy's machinist for a long time, work is well known. He has his own shop now, Speedy went to Colorado to teach last I heard.

I am a heck of a lot slower in setups than most myself, but in no real hurry.

Rick

Last edited by rick w.; 07-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Default 17 bee

Thanks Rick,I don't remember having trouble forming the brass and I have a handfull of formed cases in the die box.I think I just need to reduce the neck to 17 and fireform,I must have been trying to push the cases too far into the die.I'll try reducing the neck and trying them in the chamber, I know they need fire forming.There just about the cutest little cases I've ever seen. Frank C.