Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Default bullet impact changing

hi, was having one hole groups with my 17 hornet and all off a sudden the groups opened up and are all over the place, i have tightend everything my load is the exact same , i have never had a scope break before but could it be the scope ?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM

What is your cleaning regimen? Could be a carbon or copper issue.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Given the horrific amount of recoil generated by the .17 Hornet, perhaps it's possible that you may have broken your scope

A more likely scenario is that you need to deep clean your bore. Seems to me that carbon fouling in those little buggers plays H-E double hockey sticks with accuracy sometimes, and depending on what powder you're burning, that can vary a lot.

Have you tried automotive fuel injector cleaner for carbon removal? I got into using Motorvac MP3 a while ago, and it works well. Also tried the Lucas brand, which has a higher viscosity (thicker), and also SeaFoam engine cleaner (only used that once so far, but it seems to work OK). One other thing that works great is Quicksilver outboard engine carb cleaner, which comes in a spray can.

My .17AH gets carbon fouled fairly quickly, but gets very little, if any, copper fouling in the process, so usually a good soaking with one of the above products and a nylon brush does the trick in short order and doesn't take a whole lot of effort.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 PM

sorry i ment to say i have done two deep cleans on it and still everywhere , how ever since i posted i found the eye bell off the scope loose infact it nearly came off in my hand so im going to send the scope back as it is brand new !!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 PM

What brand of scope, if we might ask?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:34 PM

its actully a simions im sure its a one off as ive never had a prob with them before
Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Interesting tip on the Seafoam, dungheap. Thanks for sharing. Might be worth a try on stubborn carbon. Use it in my vehicles, just didn't think to try it on barrels.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 AM

Default M595Nut

Off topic, but just heard about Sea Foam for cleaning fuel injectors. What is your take on this product (and for cleaning carbon rings in barrels)?

Chuck
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Charles

I too am interested in dungheaps experience using in barrels. I can tell you from an automotive standpoint I sold thousands of cans to customers over the years while I was in that line of work. Product has been around for a long time, and I try to run at least 2-3 bottles in fuel between oil changes. Many people will run a bottle per tankful. While certainly not as concentrated or powerful as other systems (check a product called "cleen" by Standard Motor Products) or the Wynn's or equivalent dedicated flushing systems, and there are a bunch of them, I and many others feel it is a great "routine maintenance" product. Can be added to oil as well, or using an "s-tool", used as more of a flush like ones mentioned above. (Be prepared for a lot of smoke out the exhaust using this method until product is burned away). Offered in spray cans too.

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/

Hope this helps, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope you find a solution to the bullet impact issue.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Seafoam

Prior to monkeying around with Seafoam for removing carbon from barrels, I mostly used it in small engines and my motorcycle for keeping the carbs clean, and it works well for that -- well worth the couple of bucks they get per can. The barrel cleaning thing is a bonus, unless someone comes on here and says that it will eat the rifling out of a barrel, or something like that.