Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 AM

Default 17 HMR & Coyote

If the shot placement is good and the range kept under 100 yards, the Hummer does just fine on them. This one fell to the 17 grain Hornady out of my CZ American 455. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 10-13-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the old dog knows all the good tricks already. Patience and shot placement trump spray and pray.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Shot placement absolutely critical with such bullets.
I’ve had splash wounds on small fox when hitting a rib, even when using a 17 Remington with 25 grain bullets.
It sure doesn’t kill them first shot when that happens, and sometimes they manage to get lost to die elsewhere. Not good.
Ken.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:14 PM

Default 17 HMR & coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
I’ve had splash wounds on small fox when hitting a rib, even when using a 17 Remington with 25 grain bullets.
It sure doesn’t kill them first shot when that happens, and sometimes they manage to get lost to die elsewhere. Not good.
Ken.
Ken, so far, maybe I am just fortunate, but I have shot numerous coyotes ( most called in) with both the 17HMR and my 17VHA. I have not seen or had any hits, that splashed as so many state they have, and except for a couple have not had to use a second round to put them down. I seem to have the bullet enter into the rib cage or chest and just plain explode inside.
If I am just fortunate, then I sure hope it continues. I would hate to have one crawl off and die slowly. Bill K
Old 10-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Ken, so far, maybe I am just fortunate, but I have shot numerous coyotes ( most called in) with both the 17HMR and my 17VHA. I have not seen or had any hits, that splashed as so many state they have, and except for a couple have not had to use a second round to put them down. I seem to have the bullet enter into the rib cage or chest and just plain explode inside.
If I am just fortunate, then I sure hope it continues. I would hate to have one crawl off and die slowly. Bill K
Bill, perhaps you’re just a better shot than i.
Ken.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:15 PM

An Indian lad up here thinks his Savage HMR is the best coyote rifle he's every had. I think he uses either the 17gr. HP or the 20gr. HP. He says one shot kills, DRT, right out to 150yards on called coyotes. He also said 200 yards was pushing it too far. A close range wolf that came in to his predator call, 75 yards was also DRT - one shot kill. The wolf was not a big one, though - no more than 120 pounds.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default 17 hmr

The HMR is a little killer! I've had no problem killing yotes with mine. My buddy said the HMR is the best beaver gun he's ever had! And this guy has killed some beaver!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Ken.
I've had the same experience on coyote with the .17 Fireball. If you hit the front shoulder, you're probably in for a tracking job if there's any blood trail to follow.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Default 17 hmr

Fastest HMR 2,600 to 2,700fps.! Big difference in that an 4,000fps! I've got good penetration out of my HMR out to 100 150yd.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM

http://beartoothbullets.com/rescourc...?bw=20&bv=2300

I hope Saubier doesn't turn into a "can a 17 hmr kill a coyote" site.

@235 fpe I think would knock mr yotes lights out no problem. Put it where it is suppose to go and it will do its job.

Bill, how much did it weigh? We have some big coyotes here in the northeast. Around Feb/Mar. when in full coat and pushing 60-70 pounds they look huge