Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Default Best 17 caliber cleaning rods

Just put a wang in my last 17 caliber Dewey rod and it's time to shop for replacements. Is there something out there that isn't as fragile as the Dewey rods?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member

Probably most any rod is better than a Dewey.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 PM

I guess better that than having it be the best option.

John
Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 PM

I have always had Dewey rods 22 cal and up, always good service for me. When I got into 17's I bought Dewey rods again...........actually several times..........I bagged my share of them learning about life.

Is there better in the 17 caliber rods? Not sure, but will be watching this thread for suggestions. Always the coated versus steel versus other material rods to be considered.

I think a proper two piece rod guide is a necessary item. One that keeps the rod off the rifling, and the other aspects discussed on this forum. If the brush goes over the supporting portion of the guide, the guide is not much. A guide as most know, should do more than keep solvents/trash out of the action proper.

I bagged several rods due to my stupidity, just my own opinion. I did not always support the rod thru the guide on the heel of the stock with my off hand. Rods are not too large in diameter...........and will take a set.

17 rods are dainty, mistreat them one time; intentionally or not; they may become garden markers.

I think properly sized brushes............and especially patches/jag........to the bore is important. I remember one instance in a bent rod, that I used an overly large patch, even with solvent on it. I will get it thru.........right............well, not really.........that patch cost me 30 dollars. I would have thought I would have learned about the world by now..........but still fail miserably at times.

I think with 17 and smaller rods, common sense has to prevail.......or it is checkbook time..................even with the best of care, things happen though..... right?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Default Best 17 Caliber rod

Best, in the eye of the beholder.. I have some Dewey, Pro shot and Tipton. For the 17 I use the Tipton/carbon. Never a problem. Bill K
Old 02-12-2019, 12:01 AM

Pro-Shot polished stainless steel rods.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 AM

Don't care for Dewey rods at all because of the reverse threads. I prefer SS one piece like Pro-Shot. Also have a couple Kleen-Bore.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Supporting Member

Count me in on the Pro-shot stainless .17 cal rods. The Tipton carbon fiber rod has also served me well and the Dewey's just didnt hold up.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Default 17 cal rods

I bent a couple Dewey 17 cal rods. Switched to a different brand and have had no more issues. It’s coated, gray handle, don’t recall the name.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 AM

I use the Tipton rod and haven’t had any troubles with it. It’s the carbon ones with the ball bearing handle.