Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 AM

Default Die oversizing neck?

Loading some .260 Rem. Always used my Redding FL sizing die. Accidentally grabbed a back up die I bought for the caliber made by RCBS. After filling up 100 Lapua casses, precisely trimmed and primed, went to begin loading 140 AMAX. Found they slide in and out of the cases. Tiny bit of friction but obvious to me the brass has been sized slightly too wide in the neck. Is there any way to get the opening in the brass for the bullet to .262 or so instead of the .265 it seems to be at from the RCBS die?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:28 AM

Take the recapping pin out of your Redding die and run the cases through the die again, without powder of course and send your RCBS die back or get a .261 expander button for the RCBS.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 AM

if the necks were turned it is possible to have this happen, was there much resistance when you ran the fired brass in to the die or is it a bushing die, did you try the Redding die again,
Old 04-11-2019, 02:55 AM

It was just a standard RCBS full length resizing die that made the cases too wide. I grabbed another fired case and ran it through the Redding die and it was perfect with the right amount of tension.

I am not sure what to do with the 100 pieces which are too wide in the neck. Spent so much time trimming each to the exact same length, deburring, camfuring, priming, cleaning, etc. Hope I don't need to toss them all in the garbage. No more RCBS for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 AM

A little extra work, but just neck size them with the proper mandral/die bushing. No need to just toss them. Bill K
Old 04-11-2019, 04:32 AM

^^^ What he said. Just neck size the cases using your Redding die and you are good to go.

The RCBS die probably has the wrong expander button installed. Measure the diameter with calipers and compare that to the diameter of the button in the Redding die. If that's the problem, call RCBS and they will probably send you the correct part for free.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Sherm View Post
Take the recapping pin out of your Redding die and run the cases through the die again, without powder of course and send your RCBS die back or get a .261 expander button for the RCBS.
Thanks, that did the trick. Grateful