Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-16-2019, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default loaded ammo age and it's effect on accuracy

we have often heard when ammo gets old the brass and copper form a bond that effects the ammo accuracy. i'm not sure what the magic time in years is or whether it is and old wives tale.
here is a group I shot yesterday from my 17 velociraptor with 10.4 gr aa 1680 and a 20 gr v-max, 3550 fps at 100 yards, calm conditions. tag said loaded in 2007.

I had a friend that would use his kinetic bullet puller to move the loaded bullets and re-seat them before we went shooting. obviously he believed it made a difference
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 PM

I've had similar good results from my handloads, but usually not quite that good. Three years ago a bought German Sig Sauer P228 (9mm) in great shape, and dug out some 147gr FMJ 9mm ammo that I loaded up back in 1993. It shot great and the pistol has become one of my favorites. The ammo had been stored properly inside my house.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Supporting Member

If ammo is stored inside where its reasonably cool and dry all of the time, it will last a long time (years) with no adverse accuracy issues.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Only time I ever had problems with OLD ammo.

As a teen just getting deep into '06 shooting. An uncle
gave me a coffee can full of steel jacketed 240gr RN's about 1961.
I believe may have been WWI stuff, possibly even .30/03 before the '06
change.

We fired them into big chunks of shale and broke up rocks 2' thick with 'em.
Finally one just: "Hissed" long and loud at me.

Gunsmith used an electric hammer on that slug for hours and had given up.
Decided at lunch: "hate to tell that kid his guns ruined, I'll try one more time before calling". It started to move so he kept at it til it came out.
That's the barrel I just replaced on the old '17 Enfield because it's alligatored clear to the muzzle.

I pulled the rest down and used fresh primers and powder then shot the rest of 'em up.

Man I hope age don't cause problems. I've got 19 SAW can's full of reloads. Most I'll likely never shoot up.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 05-17-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: fixings
Old 05-17-2019, 03:10 PM

I have shot hundreds of 50's ball ammo in my Garand without issues. I know that the guys shooting .303's were having some hangfires with 40's ammo. Last week I shot some Fiocchi .223 from at least 10 years ago and some WW white box in .223 from probably over 15 years ago and both shot very well. Primer sealer probably would not be a bad idea for long term storage. I have thought about taking my vacuum sealer out to seal up when I load up bulk ammo.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:41 PM

I have some .17AH and .17 Rem that have been loaded for about 6 years now.
Hope it does as well as your's, Bob.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:42 PM

I have had the same experience with some 1940's .303 Enfield ammo, which was both corrosive and cordite.

A lot depends on where the ammo was stored and what temperature extremes it has seen. I have some early 1970's Israeli (Hebrew character head stamped) 7.62x51 ammo that was linked and pretty dirty. It is 147gr boxer primed and loaded pretty fast, but still shoots great in my battle rifles and my scoped FN it gets about 0.7-0.8 MOA.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM

I have found the bond you are referring to on some ammo form factory and reloads, mostly when I was pulling them because of age or the unknown recipe, The worst ever were 338 win mag reloads that were made with early Barnes solid copper bullets, Should of thrown them out but to stubborn to consider a good idea, It was like they were welded. Then I got rid of my 338
Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

that's what I was referring to in my original post and the effects of that bond on accuracy.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:56 PM

I could not answer the original question with any accurate information, I do know that some of the ammo I have shot had very high pressure prompting me to pull all of the remaining rounds left, I did measure the powder and bullet weight to confirm the recipe on the boxes, most of the time I found quite a variance in charge weight but usually not over what would be considered safe. So no real conclusive data, Was just sharing that I recognize the issue too. And would assume that there would be accuracy issues like a real tight crimp would certainly affect point of impact