Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-25-2019, 05:25 AM
Supporting Member

Default How Long Before You 5mm Guys Step Up?

Not trying to encourage you into spending money but the new CZ 457 has 3 locking lugs Just saying

Johno
Old 05-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Default Hopeful....

Anything strong enough for a 5mm rimfire should be strong enough for a 17WSM.I hope CZ decides to make a 17WSM later on,when and if they do a 5mm would be an easy conversion.I think in time CZ may get on board,I have heard good things about the 457.
Matt
Old 05-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Unless CZ believes a 17wsm for those that want a rimfire would sell enough, don't you think they would just stay with the 527 in 17 Hornet ? Just saying. Bill K
Old 05-25-2019, 05:19 PM

John, it is not the strength of the action (Taking that it has enough strength to be safe) so much as it is the need to have the cartridge completely enclosed in the chamber, thus the left hand primary extractor on your M592. There have been a number of rifles converted to 5MM but if they are shooting the rimfire version they will have the cartridge cut through the case releasing 33,00 PSI in an uncontrolled fashion. Eric did it with one rifle, I did it with an action of my own design. If Remington had brought this out as a centerfire, I think it would have lasted longer on the market. JMHO

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Supporting Member

Lowell, once again thanks for the education. Would the new CZ 457 be ok for the rim fire version do you think NOT the Craig or Schroeder?

Johno
Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM

No, I don't think that it would be a good idea to try to convert that rifle to a 5MM RMM, you would be safer to do your conversion for center fire 5MM cartridges, only.

I have never looked at these CZ rifles but just knowing what we went through to try to get ours to work and finally just went with the stronger brass CF cartridges. I am really spooked of the Rimfire cartridges.

I do shoot both the CR and RF 5MM in my TC Contender and those work well. I am sure that a Handi rifle would work just as good.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-27-2019, 12:46 AM
Supporting Member

Lowell, its not a build I would be contemplating due to the ammo problem down here I just thought one of the 55m fellas here might have been looking into it.

I have 10 boxes of Remington white box, and hopefully next week or so 10 boxes
of Centurion from the first batch they did plus the center fire conversion which I hope to test but got hung up with medical appointments

Johno
Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that the 457 action is too short for a .17WSM or 5mm Remington Magnum, it's a lot shorter than the 455 action, and that one is already too short for the longer cartridges.
If CZ was going to mess with the newbies, I think they'd have to use the 527 action, converted to rimfire, of course. I just do NOT see that happening when they are already making the .17 Hornet.
I might be wrong, but I'd bet money they won't bother. Why would they?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM

Johno, I can't really seeing CZ making rifles in either 17WSM or 5mm Rimfire, just to appease a few old farts like you scattered all over the world, they would have to spend mega bucks setting up their tooling etc.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

I am not suggesting CZ will do that, what I was asking based on the 452 build in 5mm rem by Eric Mayer had anyone contemplated doing it with the CZ 457 due to it being a stronger action kabish?

Glen I doubt the action length would be a problem for the 5mm rem as its no longer than a 17 HMR

Johno