Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-11-2020, 12:35 PM

Default .17 Remington reamer run in short

I am buying a .17 Remington reamer and trying to get dual use out of it.

I have multiple 5 gallon buckets of .223 brass and am thinking of running a .17 Remington reamer in short and shortening the dies as well to use the .223 brass I have. Has anyone done this?

I would lose a little capacity over a standard 17-223 but would get dual purpose out of the reamer. I have a customer that wants a .17 Remington built and have ordered the reamer.

Thanks

Brent
Old 12-11-2020, 12:46 PM

Brent, what are the specs on your reamer.....I possibly could have interest in renting it from you at some point?
Thanks
Steve
Old 12-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Brent it's done all the time. I spec'd my 17, 20 and 22 Jav Imp reamers with the same body dimensions and very min. taper. So with 3 reamers and 5 different length head space gauges I had a lot of options. With a Saami spec 17 Rem reamer you could go fairly short since most of the American brass is under Saami spec dimensions.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Remington short

I have done a .200 short 17 Remington on a Match reamer I have. The cartridge worked great. I will tell you to pay attention to the Dimension on the reamer where the bottom of the chamber will fall. On my match reamer the base was a little tighter and I ended up needing to use .222 brass, which was a little tighter, and also had to come up with a small base die to avoid bolt click. This may not be an issue with a sammi spec reamer.
Drew
Old 12-11-2020, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

The reamer is sammi body but a .197 neck 0 freebore.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
I have done a .200 short 17 Remington on a Match reamer I have. The cartridge worked great. I will tell you to pay attention to the Dimension on the reamer where the bottom of the chamber will fall. On my match reamer the base was a little tighter and I ended up needing to use .222 brass, which was a little tighter, and also had to come up with a small base die to avoid bolt click. This may not be an issue with a sammi spec reamer.
Drew
Exactly! The base area of the cut chamber, vs. the brass being used, is critical.
This is true with using new brass, let alone range pickup which could have been from a mil-spec chamber.
A SB sizer might be necessary. Shortening a .223 or other similar calibre die can also work as a small base die, for already shortened brass, that is.
A shortened .17 Rem die can also work very well for shoving shoulders back on .223 brass, due to the gentle shoulder angle.
This, I have done, when making up a very short .17 on .223 brass.