Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
There's always the chance that he really didn't know how bad it was. Some people rarely if ever clean the bore. One of my bowhunting friends has a Rem 700 in 270WCF that he got for Xmas as a teenager back in '87. He's never pushed a patch through the barrel. His words: " Why? It's not a muzzleloader"
Classic.......haha.

Yes, I really do think the guy didn't know. It wasn't his rifle for long, evidently he traded into it, and I believe him.

I don't think he would have refunded me $100 and sent it priority mail, if he was really trying to screw me.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
S.W. I have the same gun. I have had the gun for 15 plus years and it has always shot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yrds. with the 40 grain V-Max. I also purchased it from back east. Recently I purchased a Lyman bore scope and scoped the bore. To my surprise looked like a wash board road the entire length of the barrel. Like yours the exterior looks immaculate. I see no reason to rebarrel as long as it continues to shoot that well. Hopefully yours will work out. ( I am watching one on GB that is close to 1300.00 with time left.)
Rider

Yeah, they have been selling for crazy. A few weeks before I bought mine, someone paid $1550 before shipping.

I bought mine for $750 Buy It now.............I've been looking 4 times a day

Mine was only listed for a few hours before I bought it.

You have to act fast with these things now adays.

Mine was $790 shipped with $20 FFL transfer fee on my end........

But that was before he refunded me $100.

So, I'm into it $710 and even with the barrel as it is..........I'm happy. It shoots excellent.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 AM

Well,
I went out and shot 179 rounds.

Cleaned it after the first 79...........ate lunch, drank a beverage, and went back out to shoot the last 100.

29 were reloads, 40gr Z max...13 grains Lil Gun, CCI 500 pistol primers.

150 were PPU 45gr Soft Points.

Those PPU rounds are very, very, accurate for anyone wondering. And, a great buy as well to get some great brass for reloading.

It was a legitimate 10 MPH steady wind today.
Shots were anywhere from 10 yards to a lasered 140 yards.

Only misses were due to wind.

Total Body Count on the squeaks was
147 confirmed kills...........32 misses (can't blame the rifle for any of them)

All pictured squirrels were ones shot with PPU 45gr Factory ammo.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:57 AM

Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

I believe you will be happy with the Privi brass. When brass was hard to come by, I ended up trying to form some of the "new" Winchester brass into 17AH. It was so soft I couldn't form it. I picked up a few hundred Privi and never lost a casing. If you want to turn up the heat a bit using lil gun, try and obtain some Remington casings. They hold about a grain and a half more powder. My go to load is 14 grns. with a 40 Vmax. I know what the book says for a max load but it is only because of capacity and not pressure. If you follow the bullet weights the max load stays the same with the heavier bullets. I have 7-8 loadings on some of my casings and no loose primers or any pressure signs. Of course work it up and don't just jump to 14 as each rifle has it's own little quirks.

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 03-13-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:07 AM

Default If....

If you want to keep it a .22H and not rebarrel to .17 AH, you might ask around for a take off from the folks that have rebarreled to .17 AH. I have two micro medallions and a micro hunter. The micro hunter is now a .17 AH and one of the medallions is in the disassembled state, probably become a .19 Calhoon. I don't remember what I did with the barrels, but the point is a lot of the Brownings have turned into something else. Has to be some take off barrels out there; be a cheap(er) way to put a new barrel on it. I doubt a hornet barrel can be shot out and you'd really have to try to ruin the throat in one. Then again, sounds like yours working as is.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

SW:

Fine looking rifle on this side.
Amazing how well some really nasty barrels will shoot.
I keep hoping Rider will bring that bore scope back and take some
pics of my 300Win barrel. Cooked to a crisp to the muzzle. Yet the
last time I shot it, 200gr Game Kings 5 in just barely an inch. Gun
and new barrel are at the smith's now. Keep thinking he'll call to come
get it anytime now.

I swapped a K-10Weaver scope for another barreled action 1917 Enfield
15yrs ago that had been a "parade rifle in Mich", fired blanks and was
never cleaned. The whole bore looked like a rusted out water pipe. So much
the guy sawed 6" off and left it that way just before he sent it to me.
Once the muzzle was cleaned up a bit. I loaned it to a guy at the range
that was running the CMP matches then. He won most of the time with
that piece of junk shooting hard cast bullets with 15gr Red Dot. That's the
gun I had the .358U/m built on. I use the take off barrel as a contour
pattern when I have a barrel made. Don't think Rider has scoped this one
yet.

Then there's the fine looking bore in the old factory barrel that gave out
shooting anywhere near a 60yd p/dog. Sako Vixen .222mag. The day I got
the rifle new in Germany a patch would turn completely loose 4 times going
down the bore. You can't see it, but, you sure can feel it. Some over 6000
rnds before it stopped shooting straight. You just can't really tell what one
will do is my conclusion.

Likely 30-50 times I had that '300 barrel so hot it would have glowed in the
dark. Quite a few times I burned my hand real bad on it. No wonder that's
cooked. They do get hot prairie doggin!! '06 then with hot 110gr loads,
hundreds of 'em per day. Hey, when you've got ONE rifle, that's the one you
shoot, right?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Smile Browning Micro Medallion and Hunter

I mistakenly let the Medallion go, and years later bought a Micro Hunter in 22H. The Medallion thought me to handload. One time I had walked a mile or so groundhog hunting with none sighted and stopped at a little farm lane range and shot two 5 shot groups, both under half inch at 100 yards with the Medallion.

Years later when the Hunter came out, Pete Hower bought one. Pete doesn't reload, but shooting Hornady 35 gr Vmax factory loads was decimating the local fox population. He remarked that you should never tell anyone how well it shot 'cuz no one would believe anything you said again. Sonny Pruitt bought one and while he did handload for it, agreed with Pete and proceeded to convince five or six of his friends to buy one. including me. Every one of them shot as well, with Sonny shooting 150 groundhogs with one that he had Weaver convert to a 17M4. It was his second one as he said he would never mess up that 22H.

I bought a bunch of the Hornady 35 gr Vmas shells and like Pete said, am hoping that this note won't mess up my reputation.

The original Medallion. It was gorgeous. Fellow who bought it was living in Omaha at the time, said it was the first rifle out of his safe when he went prairie dog hunting.

Can't comment on the rust issue, but the Micro series from Browning was extraordinary. I missed one in 223 that was selling at a local shop for an almost giveaway price, brand new.

Alex
Old 03-13-2018, 02:52 PM

I was rockchuck hunting last spring that lots of chucks. The area was quite confined and I used the CZ Hornet loaded with 34 gr. HP bullets and 13 grains of LilGun. Most shots were with chucks in the grass and within 150 yards. The hold was on the shoulder and forward. After a number of shots, my first impression was the chucks were missed as they never moved at the shot. After viewing, the chucks were dead and I killed over a dozen with that tiny bullet. Very accurate and very effective.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:12 PM

Your shooting my favorite load down to the primers. It's good for 1/2" on my Savage 40. Those Browning's are very fine looking rifle. I was looking for one of those when I build my .17HH but never could find one. If you are worried about the bore, try looking at a L46 barrel, and you will worry no longer. With them it was supposed to be something to due with the way the barrel steel is made. I always run a patch of CLP down the tube after cleaning to help solve those issues. I would just enjoy it as it is, possibly showing it off a bit more with photos.