Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-16-2018, 09:52 PM

Default Its Been A While.

Hello boys and Ladies hope your all well and shooting straight, 2014 was the last time I was here, shooting has been a bit scarce to say the least, but any how I should soon be at it again, so here goes believe it or not I've been given a Coopers 17 Ackley Hornet that's been rechambered to a 17 Hornet, he imported the rifle new from the states new around 2014 but he's never really got it to shoot well that's the reason he had it rechambered to in 17 Hornet, but unfortunately he still struggles with it so he's given it to me, I've just sent in for my variation so it will be a few weeks till I get my licence back, so in the mean time I thought it prudent to ask the experts the best way to go about it, Ill try to get some pics of the rifle uploaded when it comes and also some pics of how the journey goes, if I cant get it to shoot I will looking at getting a reamer and barrel and redoing it my self, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, I've had some tremendous help here before and I've no reason to expect the help I get with this project will be any different than before, I still have my 17 Ackley Hornet and My 204, cant wait to play again.

Regards Alan.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Welcome back Alan...

I really enjoy shooting my Coopers and hope the one you received works out.
If it was me I would make sure the bore gets cleaned well,paying close attention to the throat.Look at the crown too and load up some 1680 and perhaps some 20 Vmaxs and let us know how she does.
Matt
Old 10-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks I sure will let you know how it goes, it will be a while though till my fire arms licence come back from the police, ill just have to be patient I guess.

Alan.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:41 PM

Not sure how it will be with the rechamber? I had a lot of trouble trying to get my Cooper Mod 38 in .17 Ackley Hornet to shoot. Tried all types of bullets and loads and nothing was working. I was at the point of looking to have it rebarreled but the one thing I was unable to try was Vit 120 powder. Everything I read was that that was the powder to use but at the time we were coming out of the powder shortages and it was not available anywhere. I was patient and finally was able to get some. Turns out it was the "magic dust" and I immediately started getting awesome accuracy. It was amazing that a change in powder could make such a difference.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Neal in AZ
Old 10-17-2018, 07:07 PM

Several years ago a member here (might have been Alex) had a Cooper .17 Ackley Hornet that needed the bullets seated long enough to engage the lands a few thousandths for accuracy.

Try searching the forum; I know there are a *lot* of .17 AH handloading and accuracy tips here.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wow: Someone kicked Alan's rock over so he crawled out of the hole.

Good to see you're back mate. IF you need some of that powder, check with Kenbro, he might have some with all his experimenting.

While at it, have the muzzle inspected real close for damage.

Good luck with it once you get to start playing again.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM

I'd recommend trying CFE BLK if you have it available "over there." Hodgdon's data is good for that.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Put 'em in the lands!

I can't say I found out that putting the bullets in the lands is the way to go, except that while I was learning to handload, I accidentally found that my 22 Hornet wouldn't shoot worth a hoot unless I seated the bullets very close to the lands. After that, it was the only way I loaded.

I did find that there were some bullets that some of my rifles couldn't be made to shot no matter what I did. One example was a Cooper 17 AH that absolutely would not shoot Hornady 20 gr Vmaxes. No better than 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

However, it shot hollow points from Starke and Berger into 1/4 inch groups easily.

Don't jam the bullets into the lands, as the time will come that you are in the field and try to extract the unfired bullet. Powder goes everywhere and usually ended, in my case, making such a mess that if my shooting buddy wouldn't have let me shoot his gun when it was my turn to shoot, I might has well have gone home.

One of those times I was shooting the hornet and had to shoot his 243 off the pickup truck cap, standing on the tail gate. Almost launched me off the gate.

In my 17AH rifles, N-120 shoots bugholes, with AA-1680 doing just as well. 1680 is exceptionally dirty, N120 very clean.

Stay within 10 thou of the lands.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Old 10-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Alex, your comment "the time will come that you are in the field and try to extract the unfired bullet" really struck a chord for me. In my case, it was a Marlin 1895, and a whole 45-70 case full of powder was dumped into the action. A lesson well learned, and never repeated.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

HA, you guys haven't lived yet til your Dad has one of Your '
reloads come apart while elk hunting!!!

We had one of the .358U/M do that at the range the other day.
I pulled a brass rod out of the gun case and knocked it out.

IF anyone's interested: 95gr 4831sc 250gr, turned 3260fps.
Quite a pop gun huh? Need to take it to the p/dog fields now.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"