Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 05-26-2020, 07:33 AM

Default WTB 6mm TCU dies

G'day all,
With all that's happening in the world - the Aussie distributor has informed that it could be 6 months before Redding will be able to produce and ship custom dies.

Anyone have a 2 or 3 die set and tapered expander for necking up 223 to 6mm.

Obviously will pay all shipping costs. Pretty sure dies will be ok in terms of prohibited products.

Thanks all
Old 05-26-2020, 03:28 PM

I'm using a set of Hornady 6mm TCU dies and the elliptical expander does a nice job opening up necks from 22 to 6mm. Might be another option worth considering.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 PM

Thanks Johnny,

I’m hoping (if Redding is back up and running soon) that their deluxe dies will be tapered to make expansion easier. You would think that would be an obvious inclusion?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 PM

Jawry, if I were looking to make up some 6mm TCU brass, I would get some .223/5.56 brass, decap it, full length size it with the expander ball out of the .223 die, take most any pistol die with a body larger than a .223 and get a machine shop to make you a tapered expander mandrel tapered and polished to approximately .240 diameter. Lightly lube case necks and expand them. Check neck tension and check chambering. Load and fireform. Your .223 seating die should work for seating if properly adjusted. Once fired and fireformed, I would neck size the cases. I use a shortened Lee 6mm WSM die for this for my 6x45.
I never had a 6mm TCU, but I formed a lot of 7mm TCU cases for 2 pistols using this technique and it worked just fine. It may take a little trial and error to find the right kind of die for seating, but all in all you should get by without having to fork out what Redding would want for custom dies.
On the other hand, if you happen to be independently wealthy, feel free to completely ignore this.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:38 AM

No need to size the cases in the 223 die, just run them directly into the Hornady die or the another brand with a tapered expander and you will be good to go.
That's what I do anyhow.....

John
Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawry View Post
Thanks Johnny,

I’m hoping (if Redding is back up and running soon) that their deluxe dies will be tapered to make expansion easier. You would think that would be an obvious inclusion?
I would contact Redding to make sure a tapered expander is standard with this set of dies. New Redding dies I have bought in the past came with standard expander balls unless you specified a tapered one and there was a small upcharge for tapered.