Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default Moly coated bullets question?

I'm curious if anyone is still shooting moly coated bullets? Was the rage few years back but don't hear much anymore. I just came back from a dog shoot in Montana and forgot my 20 cal cleaning rods. Really bummed because usually clean my rifles each day. I've been a moly guy for years and was glad I was shooting moly bullets this trip. Ran 185 rounds down my 20 SCC and 175 rounds down my 20 VT and both rifles still were shooting well. I did have a new build XP 100R I was shooting that I re-barreled and chambered in a 20 SCC. Was a fun pistol and shot many dogs with it out to 350-400 yards but after about 60 rounds down the tube the accuracy fell off. It has less than 100 rounds since it was chambered so guessing the barrel wasn't seasoned like the other rifles.

Just curious if anyone else is shooting Moly?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM

I am, somewhat with my own moly coated .172's. I've run out of MS Moly and now using Lyman's moly spray. Seems to work as well.
I run up to 500rounds in the .17AH between cleanings. Almost out of MolySolve, a moly removing cleaner that used to be made in Saskatchewan. I suspect when I run out of it, I will cease using the moly.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:42 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the response Daryl, I'm curious if you think you could shoot 500 rounds between cleaning with naked bullets? I am surprised with the # of view you're to only one to respond. I posted the question on another site. WOW, I learned that the issue of moly is a touchy one. Big surprise to me. Good shooting, Rick
Old 07-02-2020, 07:28 PM
Supporting Member

Picked up a 77 Mk II .223. Couldn't get it to shoot worth beans. Went back to Ruger and they said it was gummed up with Moly and cleaned it n/c. They also undid the nice trigger job.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Picked up a 77 Mk II .223. Couldn't get it to shoot worth beans. Went back to Ruger and they said it was gummed up with Moly and cleaned it n/c. They also undid the nice trigger job.
Question is: Did it shoot any better when it came back, and what did you do about the "undone" trigger job? I would be --- irritated.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 AM

A buddy had the same experience. Ruger put the trigger back to factory - replaced the whole trigger.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Supporting Member

Shot better. Getting around to fixing the fix. Yeah, I'm irritated. People wouldn't mess with decent triggers.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Default Shooting Moly

Coming around full circle, it appears that the moly craze has largely come and gone. I don't see moly coated bullets offered any more by Hornady or Sierra, precious little talk of them anywhere, que sera.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:58 PM

hBN is better, zero mess or buildup, and more consistent.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 AM

MoS2 was also hydroscopic - picks up water, resulting in some rust in barrels with Cr-Mo steels. Was never a fan of MoS2, but am enjoying using the wax pushed by Todd Kindler, which is basically a wire pulling lube used by electricians. Lee case lube works well also, one one in a toothpaste tube.