Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 AM

Default 17-222 or 17 Javelina or ?

I want a 17 caliber something, really size 17 Rem or smaller. I have a Shilen DGA rifle in 222 that I could use and since it's a repeater by using something on the 222 case it would stay that way. I also have a Mauser 98 donor that would probably end up a single shot also using the 222 or 223 case. My preference was the 17 FB which I think would serve my needs but I would like other opinions of what others use and why? Maybe the 17 Rem would be OK but I don't have 400+ yard shots. Appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 AM

Fireball would be cheaper but I would really like to have a .17 Javelina Improved to go with my 20 Javelina Improved's!

Aaron
Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 AM

Keep it simple. 17-222. Brass is cheap enough and available.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 06-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Default 17/222 or .17 jav...

I have a 17/222 in a Sako L461 with Shilen. barrel, great combo, accurate, no shortage of brass, hard to beat flat shooter. I use Sako brass, 50gn Bergers, 1/2" average or better. 17 Javelina was the other round I did think about, but more steps involved in the loading...
Good luck , what ever you choose. Jay
Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I have a 17/222 in a Sako L461 with Shilen. barrel, great combo, accurate, no shortage of brass, hard to beat flat shooter. I use Sako brass, 50gn Bergers, 1/2" average or better. 17 Javelina was the other round I did think about, but more steps involved in the loading...
Good luck , what ever you choose. Jay
Hey Wombat - here is a call from a fellow Aussie for a new thread with some photos of your rifle - sounds like a beauty!

Marcus
Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Lightbulb I built a Sako L461 single-shot rifle......

......in 17-222, for shooting PD's mostly.

Works pretty well.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Default 17-222 or 17 Javelina, or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Keep it simple. 17-222. Brass is cheap enough and available.
Fully agree, your magazine/rifle and all would function perfect with the 17-222. All you would need is the new barrel and a set of dies. At the ranges you say you shoot, it would do just fine, but could easily reach out a little further, if need be. Bill K
Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 PM

17FB was my first centerfire 17 and still my favorite but with what you already have a 17-222 seems the best choice.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 PM

I sometimes worry about factory 17 caliber brass staying available. Just a worry wort I guess, as most can be formed from existing longer 22 cal brass.

When I started in the small calibers, I thought it was odd what I chose to do first, and then onwards. The first was a 17 Remington, common at the time, fast or slow, does everything. The 17/223 probably would have been smarter in the long run, but still have the dies for such an occasion.

I found out that I tended to purchase caliber sets(reamer, dies etc) with names in the older times of gun history, ie no current stuff other than the 17 Remington. Guess I remembered all the articles that I read about as a kid of wildcats, large and small, that I thought I would never have; much less get to shoot.

I have a 17 bumble bee(contender reference), several 17 ackleys(P.O. reference), 17 A&M Bee (Atkinson/Marquart)(17 Javelina is on the bucket list), 17 KHornet(K man reference), and others that would bore most to death. So it got to be more of a memory of times past, rather than just performance of one type or another.....

I know tis not for everyone that has a lot of shooting opportunities, but kinda fell down the rabbit hole sorta speak with memory references for calibers/rifles.

That DGA oughta be a killer/diller with a 378 head, action is hard, strong/stiff, and stable. A bit heavy but what an action....... The Mauser probably being a 98 might be a 473 head, which of course can be bushed and the proper extactor fitted. Both seem old school, but tis a fine school to some....

The old MachIV is still quite a case, not much different than the newer fireball; either has a lot of potential in the 17's.

Simple approach such as a 17/222 to me anymore, well I am past that for various reasons, gotta have the sharp shoulder and lots of work to make a set of 20 cases. Of course, not much of an approach for the guy out west and the fields of dogs.

One thing about it all in all, barrels are around in fine numbers; whatever you choose does not mean a life long commitment..........

Pick the one that does it for..........you. Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Last edited by rick w.; 06-27-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branxhunter View Post
Hey Wombat - here is a call from a fellow Aussie for a new thread with some photos of your rifle - sounds like a beauty!

Marcus
+1, another vote from me