Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 PM

Default .222 R Magnum

Hello to members, I have chance to buy a HB Sako L461 in .222R Mag. Anyone had any experience with this cartridge, effective varmint range, loads? Also in this rifle. Also how much more range will I get over my current .222R.? Use would be rabbits and fox calling out to 250 max..
look forward to any feedback, thanks Jay
Old 09-23-2017, 01:13 AM

W-bat
you;re going to see at least a 20% increase in powder capacity and up to a 500+ fps increase in velocity for the same bullet.
The 222 REM Mag is a great cartridge and compares close to the 22 PPC.
It should be a great companion to your 222 REM.....both proven cartridges!
The Magnum should easily reach out another 150 to 200 yards. But, this is more a function of the shooter than the cartridge.
Just My H.O.!

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 09-23-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 AM
Supporting Member

I've got both, the mag surely does shoot a bit flatter than the standard 222. Accordingly, with the velocity increase the splat factor also increases. I push 40 grainers out of both about as fast as you can safely push them and there is a definite difference in carnage. 250 yard shots for the 222Mag. should be chip shots for ya if the rifle is a shooter. Hope ya get it, you won't be disappointed...

Aaron
Old 09-23-2017, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

As was stated above, the 222 Rem Mag extends the range of the standard 222 Rem considerably and is a decent ballistic improvement over the standard 223 Rem with the same bullet weights (~200-250 fps muzzle velocity).

My first 222 Rem Mag was a Remington Model 700 ADL that I was told at the time was a relatively rare breed in about 1976, IIRC. I currently have a heavy barreled 222 Rem Mag (Rem 700 custom) and a sporter weight (Sako L461) rifle that both shoot extremely well. H4895 gives me excellent accuracy and velocity in the 222 Rem Mag cartridge with 52 grain Sierra BTHP bullets. BLC-2 has also been a good performer in both rifles when coupled with the same Sierra 52 grain BTHP bullet, and that bullet performs well on small critters like pd's as well as when used against larger animals such as coyotes in a lot of different .224" chambered rifles, including the 22-250.

Of all of the .378" bolt face .224" cartridges that I own, the 222 Rem Mag is definitely my favorite.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wombat: See my post in the "how long will barrels last" thread.
It's a mighty fine cartridge, so close to a .223 there's little to debate about
other than finding brass for the mag. Where .223 brass is so common much of it's not even picked up by many.

BCB: In your light wt gun, I'm assuming it's a Vixen, right?
How much 4895 do you load? What's the velocity, assuming you've
run 'em over a chronograph. I never did before mine was shot out.

Thanks.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM

Default .222R mag

Tx. For all the info n feedback.Hello, George, it's a Vixen heavy barrel, factory standard. Will have more info when I get it, brass and die set. Tx. Jay
Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 PM

205M H335 Sierra 53gr br and don't look back
Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 AM

Default 222 mag

Hi wombat my mate has a 222mag and I have used it a lot it's a model 70 varmint 222 which has had the barrel set back and rechamberd in 222mag set in a Macmillan stock for the life of me I can't believe why the 222mag is not more popular it's a gr8 cartridge feeds well and is just about the perfect amount of powder for the 244 bore
Brass can be a bit hard to find down under but it dose show up from time to time

Last edited by BG17; 09-24-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BG:

In the summer of '72 in Germany I had a discussion with the gun seller.
At the time, it wasn't totally decided which was the better cartridge. Since he said the 223's could be fired in the mag too, I got mine.

When I got back home all I could find was 100 rounds of Rem. 55gr. I bought all they had and in over a year they'd never been able to get more.
I had a hell of a time living among the prairie dog towns all around the house for miles. In a couple of hours or less I'd be out of ammo, and just about out of beer too. I'd drive back to the house and reload on both and go again. Lots of days I'd shoot those same 100 case 4 times each. It was a real PITA. When the barrel died, I had the new one chambered for .223. Solely because .223 had become so popular and brass was everywhere.

One time on an early Monday morning I went to the range after a 3 day law enforcement shoot and found three 30 gallon cans over flowing with .223 brass. While trying to figure out how to load one up. Another shooter drove up. I made him an offer: "help me load one in my truck and I'll help you load one in yours, we can leave the other one for somebody else."

I have no clue how many cases it takes to over fill a 30 gallon can. One hell of a bunch though. I kept ten gallon for myself, and traded the rest by large flat rate box for other things I wanted or needed.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 09-24-2017 at 05:10 AM. Reason: fixings
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 AM

I really wanted one of those 527 varmints in 222 just so I could punch it out to 222 Rem Mag. Could have been a sweet little setup.