Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Remington 700 buttpad melting.

I've got a couple of the Remington 700 synthetic stocks that the pads are basically melting. Anyone go through the process of sending them back? I've already pulled and replaced them, just trying to decide if I should toss them or attempt to salvage them.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Remington 700 buttpad melting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I've got a couple of the Remington 700 synthetic stocks that the pads are basically melting. Anyone go through the process of sending them back? I've already pulled and replaced them, just trying to decide if I should toss them or attempt to salvage them.
Have not had any issues with my 700 pads, but then have none of the new synthetic ones. I would just toss those melting pads and put on a decent pad, as you have done and forget it. But that is just my opinion. Bill K
Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM

I have had this happen to several Remington pads they are the same as and probably made by Limb Saver, I have found you must stand rifles barrel down to avoid gluing the pad to the carpet in the safe, Limb Saver will warranty their pads, Not sure about Remington how they handle it. I did replace the Remington pads with Limb Savers with out asking Remington if they would cover the failure, did not think of it. I have had Limb Savers fail too, Limb Saver is quite easily the easiest company to deal with warranty replacement send them a pic of the failed pad and they send a replacement pad quickly less than a week last time I had to replace one. I did also try to salvage them by cleaning the sticky stuff off did not work long once the problem starts it just continues, Hope this helps

Last edited by SEM; 03-18-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
I have had this happen to several Remington pads they are the same as and probably made by Limb Saver, I have found you must stand rifles barrel down to avoid gluing the pad to the carpet in the safe, Limb Saver will warranty their pads, Not sure about Remington how they handle it. I did replace the Remington pads with Limb Savers with out asking Remington if they would cover the failure, did not think of it. I have had Limb Savers fail too, Limb Saver is quite easily the easiest company to deal with warranty replacement send them a pic of the failed pad and they send a replacement pad quickly less than a week last time I had to replace one. I did also try to salvage them by cleaning the sticky stuff off did not work long once the problem starts it just continues, Hope this helps
+1 Had the same experience with a Limbsaver pad on a Rem. 700 LVSF. Limbsaver promptly sent a replacement. Gal at Limbsaver told me the problem was with the curing process and that they had lots as large as 10,000 pads that had issues.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default Bad pads

Same problem with an LVSF here.

Remington offered to replace the stock or send me a pad. Any hints on getting the pad off, as it is glued to the stock. One fix would to be to take some very thin leather and glue it on and trim the outside of the original pad.

I had done considerable work on the stock to inlay some steel rods into the fore-end to strengthen it so the barrel wouldn't creep off target as it heated and then bed the recoil lug and tang. Went from very so-so accuracy to a sub MOA piece immediately, so I was reluctant to send the stock back and start over even though the stock job I did was awful looking!

Took the pad offer but just coated the original pad and let it go at that.

Alex
Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Alex, did you glue the pad on ? they come from Remington with 2 screws holding the pad on or did the melting goo stick it on? I have not found anything that will clean it completely but denatured alcohol worked ok and did not dissolve the rest of the pad
Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 PM
Supporting Member

I had the same problem with the LVSF pad. I called Remington and they sent a replacement stock free. The pads were glued and screwed and Remington didn’t want the old stock back. They just wanted the serial number of the gun.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

I did salvage the old stock by cutting off the pad with a single edge razor blade leaving its 1/4” base and screwing on a pachmayr medium, grind to fit pad.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default Pads

Don't want to put any labor into them, right now they're synthetic canoe paddles taking up space. One is a youth, the other a STD length. If they are taking up space I would rather have them functional. Not sure I have the rifles as I bought them for donors. Do I have to have the serial numbers?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Don't want to put any labor into them, right now they're synthetic canoe paddles taking up space. One is a youth, the other a STD length. If they are taking up space I would rather have them functional. Not sure I have the rifles as I bought them for donors. Do I have to have the serial numbers?
Hey, Chuck........ You will need the serial numbers for the guns if you call Remington. At least they asked me for mine when I called them quite a few years ago.

I had two of the early LVSF rifles with the pads that went gummy and I called Remington and they replaced the stocks and didn't want the old ones back. To cover my bases, I also called Limbsaver at the same time and I left a message. One day about a week later when I wasn't home they called and asked for our address which my wife gave to them. About a week later two Limbsaver pads came in the mail. I installed them on the two original stocks and put the stocks back on the rifles.

I called Remington back to tell them Limbsaver had sent me two pads, and they did not want the two stocks back that they by then had sent to me, and the guy I talked with told me when they arrived to sell them if I had no use for them. So I did. And a couple of other folks got a good deal on new LVSF rifle stocks in a time when the LVSF rifles were still being produced and were popular.

To remove the pads which were glued in place I unscrewed the pads on the original stocks and they were glued on, but a thin large putty knife carefully tapped down between the stock and the pad caused the pad to release fairly easily. It removed a little bit of the interior stick filler with it, but a new pad from Limbsaver screwed into place and those pads are still on both stocks in like-new-condition.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine