Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-24-2018, 01:57 AM

MIKEL, just saw your response. No, not OAL, the dimension you need to find is the size (headspace) of your rifle's chamber. The responses from SmokinJoe are pretty much spot on, in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:59 AM

And here I thought that anything Lapua was the bestest, mostest accurate brass/bullets, and magically indestructible product out there. How could anyone in the shooting sports live without Lapua is beyond imagination

Last edited by strkr; 09-24-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkr View Post
And here I thought that anything Lapua was the bestest, mostest accurate brass/bullets, and magically indestructible product out there. How could anyone in the shooting sports live without Lapua is beyond imagination
Lapua is very good quality brass.

However, if you incorrectly resize it and create excessive head space on the brass like the OP apparently did, no brass is going to remain "magically indestructible" very long.

This thread isn't about poor quality brass. Its about what not to do while resizing brass for a rifle.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 PM

Default Trouble with Lapua 221 fb brass

BCB hit is right on the head. The brass is not the problem, no matter the brand or caliber. The problem here is a simple, in my opinion, issue. The reloaded has not read a reloading manual or maybe even the instructions that come with the die set.
All of them give instruction on how to adjust the dies to get safe and proper reloaded ammunition.
Others have shown how to adjust the die and stop pushing the shoulder back so far that you get a headspace issue and after one or more firings, the classic case separation, that you did.
Pull out your instruction sheet, sit down and read it and proceed properly and you will have no issues with your reloads. And also, as you reload those cases, watch for the signs of the need to anneal and learn to do that also. Just some thoughts, you might consider. Our sport and the fact we can reload and enjoy it, is worth the effort to learn and do it safely. Bill K
Old 09-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
....... The brass is not the problem, no matter the brand or caliber. The problem here is a simple, in my opinion, issue. The reloaded has not read a reloading manual or maybe even the instructions that come with the die set.
.................Our sport and the fact we can reload and enjoy it, is worth the effort to learn and do it safely. Bill K

More truer words concerning reloading have never been spoken, Bill.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-26-2018, 02:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Even though I'm a "newby" at reloading only doing it since 1958.

I've always adjusted dies by lubing a fired case and screwing the body
down to contact, then the pin is set. Whether they contact the shell holder
or not. Once run thru, chamber a couple to make sure they fit right.

I ran 100 .222mag Rem's in Herter's dies FL, never cleaned, trimmed or anything until the barrel was shot out. Some over 60 reloads from each of those cases. Yes, they looked like hell, dirty, needed trimming bad. Never once annealed them either.

At the end, I still had 96. Re: Crushed two in the press, lost two, ONE split the neck. Sold 'em to a guy with explanation as to what they were. He'd loaded and fired some twice last I heard. That was sometime around '02-3. I've long ago lost his contact. I would like to connect again to see how they turned out for him. "coyote killer, if you have his info, let him know"

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 AM

I am sorry nobody could understand my sarcasm.

Go Lapooie Order special reamer and cry about base measurements. I would rather use LC. Hey some people even worship Vaahget

Last edited by strkr; 09-26-2018 at 04:26 AM.