Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Morning Rock Chuck Walkabout

Monday morning was predicted to be warm and sunny, so if the weather guessers were right, I figured it would be a prime time to get out for a rock chuck walkabout and take my Furball this time (221FB), as I usually take my Cooper M38 20VT affectionately named "Scooter". They were right, and out I went.

The area I cruise is ranchland with old rock piles from early land clearing that chucks have taken up residence within. The adult chucks re-arrange the rocks to offer themselves protected basking areas with good visual perimeter protection. Amazing critters, and if they see you, they bail immediately. Typical shots here are only about 200 yards, so it's head shots only or crawl-off's are assured.

It turned out to be a good morning....for me, not so much for the chucks. The rock pile above yielded the big fellow in the group of four. I'm guessing he'd weigh in at around 16 lbs; one of the largest ones I've ever shot at this property.

Lined up, the size of the big boy becomes apparent. Once I saw him up close, I was a bit saddened to take him out of the local gene pool, but he's got lots of company for family building.

The rifle is my Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221FB, Leupy VX3 6.5-20X LR 40mm with VHR. My load for this one is 20.0 grs of A2200, Rem 7-1/2, Nosler 40gr VG in Lapua cases. Velocity is 3,150 fps, and prints in the low .2's. I can get more speed, but at the expense of accuracy, so it's 3,150 for me with a big smile.

The view as I walked back to my truck, and always reminds me of why I live here.

Next time out for a chuck walkabout, I'll be taking my 20VT, as I'm sure I heard some whining from inside my safe from being left behind this time.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 05-15-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Very nice Rick. To me there is nothing more fun than going after rock chucks.
I would rather go hunt them over setting up and shooting rats which I do enjoy
also.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Shooter View Post
Very nice Rick. To me there is nothing more fun than going after rock chucks.
I would rather go hunt them over setting up and shooting rats which I do enjoy
also.
Thanks VS, I agree also.

A nice morning with a favorite rifle skulking through the junipers, glassing every opening for those sneaky chucks on distant rock piles sure works for me too. It adds some "hunt" to the affair, and not just "shoot" (which is also big fun, just in a different way, right?)

Life is good.....we have choices!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Very cool Rick.

Nice rig.........

You shooting the 40gr Varm Tipped from nosler outta this one? I sure do love that bullet in my 22 hornet/K hornets.

You stated your load was this......?

"My load for this one is 20.0 grs of A2200, Rem 7-1/2, Nosler 32gr VG in Lapua cases."

Surely you meant, 40gr VG from nosler? You shooting the HP or Tipped version, I'm in love with the tipped version.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm headed out to "find" some new chuck ground later this week. Taking the TW 200 out for some remote access
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Very cool Rick.

Nice rig.........

You shooting the 40gr Varm Tipped from nosler outta this one? I sure do love that bullet in my 22 hornet/K hornets.

Surely you meant, 40gr VG from nosler? You shooting the HP or Tipped version, I'm in love with the tipped version.

I'm headed out to "find" some new chuck ground later this week. Taking the TW 200 out for some remote access
Austin, you're spot-on there, bud, I'm so used to using and typing the .20 cal 32 grainer, that my brain was on auto. Yes, it's the 40 grain tipped Varmageddon in my Furball (and I edited the post). I use both in all my .224" rat rifles, and the .20 cal version in 32gr in my twenties. It's a love affair here too.

Good luck on your upcoming remote access chuck quest. Besides the TW 200, don't ferget the camera!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Austin, you're spot-on there, bud, I'm so used to using and typing the .20 cal 32 grainer, that my brain was on auto. Yes, it's the 40 grain tipped Varmageddon in my Furball (and I edited the post). I use both in all my .224" rat rifles, and the .20 cal version in 32gr in my twenties. It's a love affair here too.

Good luck on your upcoming remote access chuck quest. Besides the TW 200, don't ferget the camera!

Thanks Rick!
You have fun out there as well. I'll be sure to post about what I find; hopefully I'll find something worth posting about!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Good read, enjoyed the pictures.

Tom
Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Morning Rock Chuck Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Thanks VS, I agree also.

A nice morning with a favorite rifle skulking through the junipers, glassing every opening for those sneaky chucks on distant rock piles sure works for me too. It adds some "hunt" to the affair, and not just "shoot" (which is also big fun, just in a different way, right?)

Life is good.....we have choices!
And, for me, I would double agree, The hunting and finding those Rock Chucks beats lots of other shooting situations. And keeping the shot, if area allows, to over 200 yards just adds to the enjoyment and hunt. Bill K
Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Default Awesome pics

‘Chucks are so fun to shoot!Glad you had another great hunt Rick.Glad to see another nice rifle of yours got out and about,I have a couple 221 fireballs that I haven’t even shot yet cause the 20s I have holler louder at me That big ‘chuck is a monster,probably sired a lot of that community by now and had a good life.
I need to take one of my 221s next time
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 05-16-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
Supporting Member

Rick, its nice country mate what sort of pine tree are they? You got a nice stream close by with fat trout?

Johno