Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 AM
Supporting Member

Default 20 VarTarg load data???

I have spent hours and hours of time looking over the data for loads for 32 gr. projectiles and 39 gr. projectiles on many different Boards, including this one, so please don't suggest that I use the "SEARCH" function. I have fired 50 rounds down the barrel so far and used Gre-Tan's DAAG colloidal graphite during the break-in process.

I am looking for data from someone who has actually fired 32 gr. V-Max and/or 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets from their 20 VarTarg. And, YES, I know the loads may give me different results out of my rifle, but I still would appreciate reading about your loads, muzzle velocity, group sizes, seating depth, OD of your loaded rounds, etc.

My 20 VarTarg was built on a Savage Target action with a RB/LP. I used an X-Caliber barrel I bought on a group buy back in 2015. It is a pretty hefty contour with a 1 in 11 twist and three grooves. I had it finished at 24" and it has been fluted with six 5/16" flutes and threaded on the muzzle for my Lane Scorpion 556 suppressor. It sits in an H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock that is finished in Tan with black webbing.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions for loads. I do have a bunch of .204 caliber 40 gr. Nosler BT bullets and they worked quite well in one of my .204 Rugers, but I haven't tried them in this rifle.

I'm heading out to my rifle range early tomorrow morning to test some loads. I hope I hear from some of you 20 VarTarg shooters.

Thanks in advance.

NRA Life Member
Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 AM

I have tried H4198, RL7, 8208 and A2200...below is a link to actual load data. All of the powders I mentioned shoot great, but would have to give A2200 a slight edge over the rest in accuracy. Hope this helps.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartr...des/20caliber/

Gene
Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 AM

Default 20 VarTarg load data ??

LeRoy. In my VT and the SCC I use two loads and they work very well, for me and my rifles. Both are Xcaliber barrels, 3 groove, SS 24 inch. But no nitride finish.
I use mostly the 32 grain v-max and z-max and the nosler 32 tipped Varmegeddon. My loads are either 18.6 grns of CFE BLK, with gives me 3670 average.
The other is 20.3 grns of AA2200, with a average of 3750. I load them all for a overall length of 1.843, with a OD on the neck, with bullet seated of .028. I neck size with a .226 bushing in a neck size die. I like to keep my necks trimmed .012 . Hope this helps you and I know you will start below these and work up.
I have shot a few 39 grain bullets, but seem to stick to the 32's . My groups will hold right in and around a mean average of 1/2 inch at 100 yrds. Bill K
Old 09-10-2018, 02:51 AM

Default 20vt

My load is-

Rem 7.5
19.0 H 4198
32 v max

Shoots 1/2 inch in my gun
Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

LeRoy:

I bought a new Cooper M-38 from Philip in CA back in Jan '11 I think it was.
Due to health problems I only got to the range one time with the 20 VT and that was solely to develop loads over the chrono. I never fired for group due to the wind.

I loaded low and over loaded to find just under max by my own decision
from looking at brass. Don't know what the SS barrel twist is.

Fired these on 3/9/11. Settled on these loads as best suited for my rifle.

32gr: AA1680 18.0gr = 3320fps

39gr: 16.5gr 1680 = 2940fps

Shot a total of 50 rnds and haven't been back yet.

Good luck!
OVL: Case: 1.395-1.400"
Loaded from 1.870 to 1.904" best I found was 1.899"

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Supporting Member

The first Hornady .20 cal V-Max was a 33 grainer, this is a pic of a fairly typical group if I do my part using that bullet. Chrono's 3,760ish. Rifle is a Tannel built CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar with the HS Precision stock that started life as a .223. .20 VarTarg ammo feeds flawlessly out of the .223 Magazine.
Action is single-pointed and fully true'd, bolt is double sleeved and bushed. Barrel is a Pac-Nor Super Match 3 groove stainless about a 4 contour as memory serves. Minimum spec chamber with a .228 tight neck and zero free-bore.

I worked up to this load when I first got the rifle back from Greg and after colloidal graphite break in, I've never changed the load since. Still using the same lot of H4198, got a lot of it.

My memory stinks . I just had an actual but quite rare these days thought that came flickering in so I went to check my records. At some point years back I started to use the 32 V-Max with Todd Kindler's SPL treatment on them and bumped the load to 18.7 grains of that same lot of H4198, with 7 1/5 BR Primers in weight segregated RP cases with flash holes reamed and primer pockets uniformed, chronos about 3,780ish FPS and accuracy is same same. I must have to much time on my hands.
Let us know what ya come up with.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Supporting Member

From a historical perspective since it all happened ~14+ years ago (my how time flies....), Hornady's switch from their older 33 grain to a new 32 grain Hornady 20 caliber V-Max bullets was a concession to the then new combined Ruger/Hornady 204 Ruger cartridge effort (~2004) and its marketed velocity of 4225 ft/sec.

Using the 33 grain bullet, Hornady could not quite make the velocity spec for the 204 Ruger cartridge with their ammunition. In order to do so, Hornady switched to the lighter 32 grain bullet, which when combined with a special powder blend not available to the general public, allowed them to get to the Ruger marketing spec of 4225 ft/sec for velocity in a safe manner. Also, longer barrel throating helped the velocity along with no adverse pressure effects in factory rifles. If you have a custom rifle with zero or little free bore, this fact needs to be accounted for in working up safe loads in your rifle that are otherwise safe in a standard factory 204 Ruger chamber.

Using off the shelf powders available to hand loaders, velocities in the range of just under 4200 ft/sec with the 32 grain bullet is about all that can be achieved safely in a factory chamber, +/- a bit based on rifle to rifle differences............

One interesting feature of the special powder blend that Hornady used for their 204 Ruger ammunition was the fact that it contained a "de-coppering" agent designed to reduce barrel fouling. I have no idea if currently available/widely used commercial powders used in the 204 Ruger cartridge and other similar cartridges contain any such agent, but barrel fouling was an early 204 Ruger marketing concern.

The use of colloidal graphite in barrels is the only way to fly for me. I have used it for years in the form of Lock-Ease in all of my rifles from small caliber to the big bores as a last step in barrel cleaning. Some smiths sell their special blends of it for barrel break-in to help pay bills, but all colloidal graphite is made up of a liquid carrier combined with micron size graphite particles for lubrication purposes in a clean barrel. The idea was first presented to me in the early to mid 1980's while living in West Texas and haunting Jeff Fowler's old "BR Heaven" business just outside of Midland. IIRC, the business was named Shooter's Warehouse but it was commonly referred to as BR Heaven. A true candy store full of goodies........... The original building still stands on the north side of Hwy 80 between Midland and Odessa, but it now looks like its an oil field service business. Who could have imagined that happening in the Permian Basin...............

Since I mostly shoot my own hand swaged 20 caliber bullets, I don't have a lot of experience with the factory ones, but H4198 and AA1680 are both good powders to start with.

FWIW - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-10-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Default LeRoy,how did you do....

Lots of good info so far.I have two Cooper 20VT’s and they both like N-130 and the various 32’s as they are 12 twists.If you have some N-130 and want to try let me know and I will look up my load info.
Hal I loved that 33,interesting little bit of history there,killed a few coyotes and rockchucks with it out of my 20 Tactical improved that Greg built with a13 twist rifle so many years ago.Like Doug I still have a “few”
Matt
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM

I use LT30 and N130 with the Hornady 32gr VMAX in my Cooper 38 and Bullberry Contender 20VTs. Here’s some of my data:

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...eferrerid=1019
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

I don't hotrod my 20vt, have plenty of other rifles chambered in more suitable cartridges for high velocity. I always seem to fall back on H4198 with 32grain bullets. 18.2 grains in my current vartarg makes the best accuracy. This is the most pleasant and satisfying rifle I have for 50- 300 yards. Love my 20vt.