Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default Karma...

Time to get this Big Game forum back on topic.

Well I guess Karma decided to throw me a bone tonight. I have been after this deer since Oct. 7 when he showed himself at 85 yards. I've seen him a few times this month, the latest last Friday while standing in the middle of the field after my nephew shot the button buck. He was 25 yards from my stand, in all his glory.

Tonight i was going to hunt this deer and the wind in town was perfect out of the southwest. I got home and changed quickly, grabbed my stand and headed to the farm. When I got there, I was disgusted. The farmer cut his remaining corn and the neighbor was just making his first rounds knocking his down in the field adjacent to where I wanted to go. I turned around and left. I called a buddy and he said DON'T STOP...GO! GO NOW! Said they might push something out or hole them up in the thicket next to my stand. So i turned around.

I was in my stand by 5. The farmer was really making headway on the corn to my right, but he was going the wrong direction, moving further away. I figured he'd push them the wrong way. About 5:30, a half dozen deer came out in the field to my left, about 400 yards away. No horns. By 6 pm i was getting kinda bored, but then caught movement in the thicket. First legs, then HORNS! Not just any horns, but the ones I was after.

I got up and ready, but he was feeding away to my left, deeper in the thicket. I grunted a few times...nothing. Then I tried "the can"...no reaction. He just disappeared as quickly as he came. The wind had switched to the WNW, blowing slightly toward him. Maybe he winded me? I had doe pee out. He didn't even look my way though. My hopes were still up.

At 6:20 he reappeared to my left, right where i last saw him. He was feeding on the opposite side of the creek on a bench. I knew if he kept on this path he'd pass within 40 yards, and I might get a shot.

Right on cue, he kept coming. When he got behind bushes, I drew my Bowtech Allegiance and hit a limb in front of me. CRAP! I sat quickly, with the deer still behind the bush. He stepped out, i settled the pin, and waited just a split second for him to turn slightly. He was quartering to me at 35 yards, but it felt right....whack! The arrow burried into him.

He jumped forward, crossing the creek and entering the field, ran 60 yards and stopped. I saw a tuft of hair out of place on his hind quarter. Did I hit him in the @SS!?! (for the record...I didn't :-)) Then he wobbled, stiff legged, and fell over. One thrash and he was done. Down for the count.

I got down and walked over. What a magnificent creature. I thanked God for my good fortune and said a little prayer. The stars certainly lined up right for me tonight!

Had to run home and grab the 4 Wheeler. No dragging this guy. I was at the farthest point away from my truck and the bottom still soggy from the rain last week. The farmer helped load him on the 4 Wheeler and was really pleased I got another deer off the farm.

I got him home, took some pics, and hung him up. He was 165 pounds dressed, 8 points and 17 1/2" spread. One of, if not the biggest buck I've got yet. A great deer for PA.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Charlie, that is a great deer for Pa. Is he going on the wall?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Euro mount. Sue said no more mounts. LOL
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Congrats Charlie!! You have an excellent PA trophy there for sure...NICE!!

Thanks for sharing your story and photos...really enjoyed your post!

Don
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

Nice buck ya done good Charlie.

Tom
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default Pa Deer

Good Job Charlie! Patience is a virtue, Congrats
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Supporting Member

nice work charlie. This would put that venison to good use.... http://honest-food.net/2013/10/28/ba...ecipe-venison/

ML
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM

beautiful buck. I've hunted all my life in northern PA and thats a dandy for our area. Good accomplishment with the bow as well.
Any advice I can give get that thing mounted. I know the wife said no, but if its your biggest buck to date you will regret not having it done later in life. Especially if you dont top it. just my 2 cents.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 AM

Great story charlie, with a great ending
nice buck
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 AM

GREAT buck AND story! Congratulations!!