Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 10-08-2015, 06:30 PM

What is the Aluminum block for? Although not good accuracy according to how most rifles on the internet shoot, I could live with it.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:43 AM

The block supports both the action and the barrel. The action isn't touching the stock at all, but is free floating. No stress on the action from hanging a heavy barrel off of it, and the block provides a nice mounting surface for the stock of your choice. As long as it isn't store bought, haha !
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Supporting Member

It's very impressive looking Barry! And it shoots equally well!

Don
Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 PM

Looks and shoots very nice.

Aaron
Old 10-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Supporting Member

Interesting build.

I am out of the loop on benchrest unlimited setups, but I am surprised clamping the barrel doesn't mess with harmonics? My heaviest vermin rig is 13# and it is a chore if my portable bench is 100 yds from the truck. I would need a cart for your rig!

And if I understand your post, you are fireforming 17 MkV ( fireball) into the fatter empty case shown in your pictures? If so, that case sure gets blown out more than I would consider doing myself, and I wonder where the extra brass came from? LOL

So if true, are you jamming the bullets super hard or does it take more than 1 forming to get the brass formed well to the chamber?

Nice color combo

Allen
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM

that would fit in my gunsafe.

well no, actually its full but I'd get another

very nice

Last edited by trevort; 10-16-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks gentlemen. Hemi, the pics are a little deceiving, the case doesn't change shape that much, just at the shoulder area. Slight crush fit on a regular 17FB case, at the neck/shoulder junction results in a nice fire-formed piece that hardly ever needs to be resized other than a quick run through the LC NS die. Have 2 rifles in that chamber now, haven't ever lost a case.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks

It looked like the shoulder moves forward a 1/4" to my eyes, glad it is tighter.

Allen
Old 10-29-2015, 04:33 AM

That rifle really turned out nice. What did you start with to create that stock?
Old 11-07-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfisher View Post
I carried it out to get some pics, but not the extensive walkabouts the lighter rifles get...the 25gr Vmax at 4050fps, really hits hard. This setup is a complete joy to shoot, the weight allows for all the action to be viewed, even at high power scope settings.

Just as it would less than brilliant to carry a 30lb rifle for yote calling, it's just as ignorant to shoot colony varmints from a bench with a 10lb rifle, IMO. Different applications, different tools.
Looks like the same as a MIV. Accuracy 25gr. loads in mine (MIV) are from 3919 to 4054 depending on powder.

My guns for off a rest weigh, several of them, over 20lbs and are braked. But a 10lb gun chambered MIV has no recoil or muzzle jump......zilch. It's plenty enough weight for that cartridge. See the whole show when cranked to 24x or more.